What names are allowed on Facebook?
Facebook is a community where people use their real identities. We require everyone to provide their real names, so you always know who you're connecting with. This helps keep our community safe.
Names can’t include:
- Symbols, numbers, unusual capitalization, repeating characters or punctuation
- Characters from multiple languages
- Titles of any kind (ex: professional, religious, etc)
- Words, phrases, or nicknames in place of a middle name
- Offensive or suggestive content of any kind
Other things to keep in mind:
- The name you use should be your real name as it would be listed on your credit card, student ID, etc.
- Nicknames can be used as a first or middle name if they're a variation of your real first or last name (like Bob instead of Robert)
- You can also list another name on your account (ex: maiden name, nickname, or professional name), by adding an alternate name to your Timeline
- Only one person's name should be listed on the account – Timelines are for individual use only
- Pretending to be anything or anyone is not allowed
If your real name isn’t listed on your account and you’re unable to change it, let us know.
If you'd like to represent a business, brand, pet, idea or organization, you can create a Page.