What should I do if I'm being bullied, harassed or attacked by someone on Facebook?
Facebook offers these tools to help you deal with bullying and harassment. Depending on the seriousness of the situation:
- Unfriend — Only your Facebook friends can contact you through Facebook chat or post messages on your Timeline.
- Block — This will prevent the person from starting chats and messages with you, adding you as a friend and viewing things you share on your Timeline.
- Report the person or any abusive things they post.
The best protection against bullying is to learn how to recognize it and how to stop it. Here are some tips about what you should — and shouldn’t — do:
- Don’t respond. Typically, bullies want to get a response — don’t give them one.
- Don’t keep it a secret. Use Facebook's Trusted Friend tool to send a copy of the abusive content to someone you trust who can help you deal with the bullying. This will also generate a report to Facebook.
- Document and save. If the attacks persist, you may need to report the activity to an internet service provider and they will want to see the messages.
Visit Facebook's Family Safety Center for more information, tools and resources.