Uploading Photos & Profile Pictures
How to Upload and Post Photos
To add and post photos to Facebook:
- Click Add Photos/Video at the top of your News Feed.
- Select an option:
- Upload Photos/Video: Post photos from your computer. The photos you post will be added to your Timeline Photos album.
- Add Synced Photos: If you have photo syncing turned on, you can post photos that have synced from your phone or tablet. The photos you post will be added to your Timeline Photos album.
- Create Photo Album: Post photos from your computer to a new album.
- Choose who can see your post.
- Tag friends.
- Add a location.
- Let people know how you're feeling or what you're doing.
Keep in mind that, when you tag someone, the photo or post may be shared with the person tagged and their friends. Learn how to turn this setting off when you post.
To add more photos to an album you've already created:
- Go to the album that you want to add photos to.
- Click the Add Photos button at the top-right.
- Pick the image files you want to upload. To pick multiple photos at once, hold down the Control button on your PC, or the Command button on your Mac, while clicking the image files.
- While your files are uploading:
- Add an album title and description.
- Use the audience selector to choose who can see the album (Note: If you tag people, their friends will be able to see the pictures they’re tagged in).
- Check the progress bar to see the estimated remaining time for your album upload. Once it's complete, click the blue Post Photos button to post your photos.
- Go to your friend’s Timeline and click Photo at the top
- Click to choose a photo from your computer
- Add an optional caption in the text box
- Click Post
Note: When you share something on a friend’s Timeline, your friend chooses the audience for the post. This controls who can see your post on their Timeline and elsewhere on Facebook (ex: News Feed and search).
Your post-by-email address is an email address you can use to upload photos or videos to your account from your mobile phone. To find your post-by-email address:
- Click at the top right of any Facebook page
- Click Account Settings
- Click Mobile on the left side of the screen
- Your post-by-email address is listed towards the bottom of your mobile information
Please keep in mind you have to enable mobile texts to use this feature.Using your post-by-email address:
- To add a caption to your photo or video, include a subject in the email. If you don't include any photos or videos, the email subject will be your updated status.
- Photos and videos uploaded by email are public by default, but you can always change the privacy setting of any photo album.
How to Manage Profile Pictures
Your profile picture helps people recognize you on Facebook. To add a profile picture or change your current profile picture:
- Go to your Timeline (which we sometimes refer to as your profile) and hover over your profile picture
- Click Edit Profile Picture to edit your picture
- Choose whether you want to:
- Pick a photo you already uploaded to Facebook
- Take a new photo
- Upload a photo from your computer
- Remove your current photo
You can use any of the photos you've uploaded to Facebook, or photos your friends have uploaded, if you're tagged in them:
- Click on the photo you want to use to expand it
- Hover over the photo and select Options
- Click Make Profile Picture
- Crop the photo and click Done Cropping
Keep in mind, your current profile picture is public.
To change the way your profile picture is cropped:
- Go to your Timeline and hover over your profile picture
- Click Edit Profile Picture
- Click Edit Thumbnail and drag the image to adjust the cropping
- Click Save
Keep in mind that you won't be able to adjust the cropping of square photos.
Yes. Your profile picture must be at least 180 pixels wide.
If you're unsure of whether or not your picture meets this requirement, you can right-click on the picture to see the photo properties, which should include the photo dimensions (ex: 100 x 91 would be too small).
If you can’t find the photo’s dimensions, try uploading the picture and assigning it as your profile picture. You will see the following error message if the image is too small:
If you're having trouble uploading or posting photos, try these troubleshooting tips:
- Try uploading the original photo instead of an edited version. Editing photos (ex: with iPhoto or Photoshop) before uploading them may cause the upload to fail.
- Check the photo format. Try only uploading JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF or TIFF files.
- Check the size of the photo. We recommend uploading photos under 15MB.
- Make sure you're using the latest version of your browser.
There are a couple of reasons why you might not see this option:
- There's a 1000 photo limit in photo albums. The Add More Photos option disappears from an album when you reach the 1000 photo limit. You can create a new album or move photos from one album to another to make space for new photos.
- Some albums have a different method for adding photos. Certain types of photo albums are created automatically. You won't see the Add Photos button when you're viewing these albums:
- Mobile Uploads: This album is made up of all the mobile uploads you've added. To add to the album, upload a photo from your mobile device.
- Profile Pictures: This album is made up of all the profile pictures you've added. To add to the album, change your profile picture.
- Timeline Photos: This album is made up of all the photos you've added to your Timeline. To add to the album, click Add Photo/Video at the top of your homepage or Timeline. Pick the Upload Photo/Video option, then select an image from your computer and share. The photo will appear on your profile and News Feed and will be saved in your Timeline Photos album.
- Cover Photos: This album is made up of all the cover photos you've added. To add to this album, change your cover photo.
If you do not see the Photos application in the Applications menu, type "Photos" into the search box at the top of the page and follow the link that appears. While using the application, you will see the option to bookmark it in the bar at the bottom of the page. You may adjust the order of your bookmarks at any time by dragging them within the Applications menu.
You can also edit the settings for an application from your account settings:
- Click at the top right of any Facebook page
- Choose Settings
- In the left menu, click Apps