Creating & Editing Events
To create an event:
- Click Events in the left menu of your homepage.
- Click Create Event in the top right.
- Fill in the event name, details, location, time and then choose your privacy settings. Please note that you must include an event name and time.
- Click Invite Friends to add friends to the guest list. Check the names of the people you want to invite and then click Save.
- Click Create.
To invite people to your event:
- Go to the event's page and click Invite Friends in the top right. Select the friends you want to invite from the suggestions or search for more names and then click Save.
- Click Invite Friends while creating an event.
- Allow guests to invite their friends to an Invite Only event by clicking Edit in the top right of your event and choosing Guests can invite friends. If you've chosen Friends of Guests for your event's privacy, your guests' friends can join the event.
As an event host, you can choose different privacy settings for who can see, join or add guests to your event.
Members of a group can create group events:
- Click in the top right of your group
- Select Create Event from the dropdown menu
- Fill in the event details and then click Create
Once you create an event, you'll be set as the host. The event will appear on the group's Wall and members can choose to join. You can also invite your entire group to an event by clicking Invite all members in the event creation window.
When you create an event, you're automatically listed as the host. Hosts can invite more people to the event, appoint other hosts and edit event details.
Any host can add more hosts to an event. To add a host:
- Click Edit at the top right of the event and adding names to the Host field.
You can let guests know where your event is happening by including the address on your event page. If your event is happening at a place, like a restaurant or a park, you can add it to your event page along with a map, directions and weather info.
To add a place to an event you're creating:
- Click Events from the left menu > Create New Event.
- Enter the place where the event is happening next to Where.
- Choose your place from the suggestions in the dropdown. Note that a place won't appear if you just type in a physical address (ex: 123 Main Street).
- Fill in the date and time next to When.
- Click Create after you've filled in all event details.
To add a place to an event you've already created:
- Open your event page
- Enter where your event is happening in the Add a Place? field
- Click Add
To edit the place for your event:
- Open your event page and click Edit in the top right
- Change the place next to Where
- Click Save
If a host has listed a location for the event that corresponds to a Facebook Page with a location, people will be able to view a map and directions to the event on the event home page. A host can add or edit the address at any time.
To add or edit an address:
- Click on Events from the left-side menu
- Choose your event
- Click Edit in the top-right corner
- Add or edit the address in the Where field
- Click Save
Weather info will appear on your event page if you’ve added a place to the event. You can also preview the weather while you're creating or editing an event that has a valid place. Note that weather info won't appear if you just type in a physical address (ex: 123 Main Street) as your place.
- Go to the page of an event you hosted or attended
- From the menu, click Create Repeat Event
- You can keep or edit the name, details, location, privacy and time of the event
- Click Create
To send a message to your event guest list:
- From your event page, click the icon and select Message Guests
- Type in the names of specific guests or click Select All to message everyone on your guest list
- Click Start Chat
To add a main photo for an event as the host:
- Click the Add Event Photo button at the top right of the event page.
- Choose whether you want to upload a new photo or pick a photo from one of your existing photo albums. Event photos must be at least 714 by 264 pixels.
- Once you choose a photo, you can reposition it by clicking on the image and dragging it up or down.
- Click Save Changes. If you'd like to upload more photos or video, you can post them on the Wall of the event by clicking Add Photo/Video.
To add photos or videos to an event as a guest:
- Post photos on the event Wall by clicking Add Photo/Video. You can add photos to the event from your photo albums on Facebook or upload a photo from your computer.
- After you've responded to an event, you can click Add Photo/Video at the top of the event's Wall to add videos.
If this is a public event, the photos and videos will be visible to anyone who views it. The photos and videos posted on private events are only visible to other people who were invited. Hosts also have the ability to remove photos or videos that they don't want to be associated with their event.
We don't put a limit on the number of guests for events. To help make a positive experience for hosts and guests, you should only invite people you know or people you know are interested in the event. If people you invite aren't responding or are choosing not to join your event, you may be temporarily blocked from inviting more guests. You'll be able to send invitations again once more people join your event.
There are other ways to let people know about your event in addition to sending invitations, like sharing the event on your timeline or your Page's timeline. You can also ask your guests to invite people that they know would be interested if you've allowed that in your event's privacy settings.
A host can remove anyone from an event who was sent an invitation, except the event’s creator. To remove someone:
- Click an RSVP header (ex. Going) above guests' names on the left side of the event
- Sort names based on the type of RSVP using the dropdown menu in the upper-left
- Click the X next to the person you’d like to remove
People you remove will not receive a notification that they have been removed. They will not receive future messages or notifications from the event, and it'll no longer appear on their Upcoming Events list.
If your event has fewer than 5,000 people invited, you can change the name for 60 days after creating it. It isn't possible to change the name of an event if it has more than 5,000 people invited.
To edit the name of your event, go to Edit and change the text in the Name field. Remember to click Save to save your changes.