To create a group:
- From your home page, go to the Groups section on the left side menu and click More.
- Click Create Group. A window will appear, where you'll be able to add a group name, add members and select the privacy settings for your group.
- Click Create when you're done.
Once the group is created, you'll be taken to the group. To get started, click at the top right of the group and select Edit Group Settings. From here you can add a group description, tags, set a group email address, add a group picture and manage members.
Pages allow real organizations, businesses, celebrities and brands to communicate broadly with people who like them. Pages may only be created and managed by official representatives.
Groups provide a closed space for small groups of people to communicate about shared interests. Groups can be created by anyone.
Other differences include:Pages
- Privacy: Page information and posts are public and generally available to everyone on Facebook.
- Audience: Anyone can like a Page to connect with it and get News Feed updates. There is no limit to how many people can like a Page.
- Communication: Page admins can share posts from their Page. Page posts can appear in the News Feeds of people who like the Page. Page admins can also create customized apps for their Page and check Page Insights to track the Page’s growth and activity.
- Privacy: In addition to an open setting, more privacy settings are available for groups. In secret and closed groups, posts are only visible to group members.
- Audience: Group members must be approved or added by other members. When a group reaches a certain size, some features are limited. The most useful groups tend to be the ones you create with small groups of people you know.
- Communication: In groups, members receive notifications by default when any member posts in the group. Group members can participate in chats, upload photos to shared albums, collaborate on group docs and invite members who are friends to group events.
Go to the group you want to be part of and then click Join Group in the top-right corner. You can also join any Open group that you see on the About page of someone's Timeline by clicking Join.
You may have to wait for a group admin to approve your request. In some groups, you can also be added by a friend who's already a member.
Keep in mind when you join a group:
- People may see when you join an Open or Closed group or that you're a member of that group, like in News Feed or search.
- When someone adds you to an Open or Closed group, others may see that you've been invited (ex: in News Feed or search). Once you visit a group you're invited to, you'll become a member and other people may see you joined.
- Certain groups on Facebook are Secret and may not appear in search results. You can see them once a group member adds you.
To see a list of your groups, look under Groups on the left side of your home page. Click More to see all of your groups. You can also manage all of your groups' settings.
You can see all of your Open groups on your About page. Go to your Timeline, click About under your profile picture and scroll down to Groups to see them.
To add new members to a group:
- Go to the group
- Click the + Add People to Group field in the right column
- Type your friends' names and click on them to add them to the group
For all types of groups—Open, Closed and Secret—group members can add their friends. Other people can request to join an open or closed group and be confirmed by a group admin. You can invite people you’re not friends with to join the group by clicking Invite by Email in the top right of your group.
For Facebook groups
You can only add people you're friends with to a group. Other people can request to join Open or Closed groups but they must be confirmed by an admin before they can join. You can invite people you're not friends with to join the group by email.
For groups created within your school’s Facebook group
You can create and join groups with any other members, and other members can add you to groups. Anyone at your school can participate in a group without having to become friends first.
Sharing to a Group
To post to a group, go to the group and then click the box that says Write something.
From here you can:
- Post an update
Group members get notified about all new posts in a group unless they choose to adjust their group notification settings. If group privacy is set to Closed or Secret, only group members will be able to see things that get posted in the group.
To comment on something:
- Click Comment under the post or in the white box that says Write a comment or Write a reply
- Write your comment
- Press Enter or Return on your keyboard to publish it
To make more than one paragraph, press Shift and Enter at the same time.
Facebook messages and posts in groups with fewer than 250 people are marked as "seen" after your group members have seen them. If your group reaches 250 members or more, you’ll no longer see who’s seen messages and posts.
The check under each post indicates how many group members have seen it. This way you can stay updated on the group's activity.
Hover over the to get an idea of who's seen it. Anyone who can view the group post will see the .
Keep in mind that if people see a group post or message, it doesn't always mean they had the chance to read it carefully.
When you get notifications for a post in a group, you can stay up-to-date whenever someone comments on the post.
To turn on notifications, click above the post and and select Get Notifications. If you change your mind, select Stop Notifications. Notifications are automatically turned on for posts you write or comment on.
Note: You can adjust the notifications you receive from group activity by editing your notifications settings for the group.
To change your notification settings for a group, go to the group and click Notifications in the top right under your group's photo. You can turn notifications on for All Posts, on for Friends' Posts or Off.
Note: If your group reaches 250 members or more, its notification settings will be set to Friends' Posts by default. Individual members of the group can still change their own notification settings.
To find a specific post in your group:
- Clickat the top right corner of your group to expand the search field.
- Enter names or keywords that appear either in the post or in comments on that post. The results of your search will show the part of the post where the keywords appear.
- Click a result to see the original post.
Deleting or Leaving a Group
To leave a group, go to the group and click at the top-right corner. Then pick Leave Group from the dropdown menu.
When you leave a group:
- Members won't be notified if you leave
- You're removed from the member list and the group will be removed from your list of groups
- You'll no longer get group notifications or see group stories in News Feed
- People will no longer know when you've seen a group post, even if you saw it before you left the group
Facebook automatically deletes groups that have have no members. If you've created a group, you can delete the group by removing all members and then yourself:
- Click Members at the top of the group
- Click the gear next to each member's name except your own and then select Remove from Group
- Remove yourself once you've removed the other members
Note: If you weren't the first admin and creator of this group, you won't be able to delete the group unless the group creator has left it voluntarily.