Converting Your Timeline Into a Facebook Page
Each person who signs up for Facebook has one account with login information. Each account can have a personal Timeline and manage multiple Pages.
- Personal Timelines, which we sometimes refer to as profiles, are for individual, non-commercial use. They represent individual people and must be held under an individual name. You can follow Timelines to see public updates of people you’re interested in but aren’t friends with.
- Facebook Pages look similar to personal Timelines, but they offer unique tools for connecting people to a topic they care about, like a business, brand, organization or celebrity. Pages are managed by people who have personal Timelines. Pages are not separate Facebook accounts and do not have separate login information from your Timeline. You can like a Page to see updates in News Feed.
It's against the Facebook Terms to use your personal account to represent something other than yourself (ex: your business). If you're using your account to represent something other than yourself, you could risk permanently losing access to your account and all of its content if you don't convert it to a Page. Learn how to convert your personal account to a Page.
If you're a public figure, learn more about allowing followers.
When you convert your personal account to a Facebook Page, we'll transfer your current profile picture and add of all your friends and followers as people who like your Page. Your account's username will become the username for your Page, and the name associated with your personal account will become your Page's name. If you want your Page to have a different name, consider creating a new Page.
No other content will be carried over to your new Page, so be sure to save any important information before converting your account. You can:
- Download your info, such as all of your sent and received messages and all of the photos and videos you’ve uploaded to Facebook.
- Appoint a new group admin to any groups you manage. You'll be unable to manage groups once the conversion begins.
When you're ready to convert your personal account to a Facebook Page:
- Go to Profile to Business Page Migration
- Click a category for your Page
- Select a more specific category from the dropdown menu and fill out the required information
- Click to check the box next to I agree to Facebook Pages Terms
- Click Get Started
For full access to Pages features, manage your new Page from a personal account or give someone a role on your Page.
- All your confirmed friends and followers will be converted to people who like your new Page
- Your current profile picture will become your Page's profile picture
- Your username will become your Page's web address
- You'll remain the admin of any Facebook Pages you manage
You'll also have the option to transfer your photos to your Page.
Note: When you convert your personal account to a Page, you'll lose your admin status for any groups or apps you manage from your personal account. Be sure to add new admins before converting. Also, content on your Timeline (ex: personal info, posts) won't be transferred to your Page. You can download your Facebook info before you begin this process.
You can download your information from the Settings page.
- Click at the top right of any Facebook page and select Settings
- Click on "Download a copy of your Facebook data"
- Click Start My Archive
Because this download contains your Timeline information, you should keep it secure and be careful when storing, sending or uploading it to any other services.