Lists for Friends
Organizing Your Friends
To help you get started, you have lists for:
- Close Friends: You can add your best friends to this list to see more of them in your News Feed and get notified each time they post. You also have the option to turn these extra notifications off.
Acquaintances: This list is for friends you don’t need to stay in close touch with. People on your acquaintances list will rarely show up in your News Feed. You can also choose to exclude these people when you post something, by choosing Friends except Acquaintances in the audience selector.
Restricted: This list is for people you’ve added as a friend but just don’t want to share with, like your boss. When you add someone to your Restricted list, they will only be able to see your Public content or posts of yours that you tag them in.
Learn how to add friends to lists. People won’t get notified when you add them to these lists.
You can also create custom lists to organize friends as you like. You choose who goes into these lists and what (if any) privacy restrictions apply. Note that your friends won’t get notified when you add them to custom lists.
To create a new list:
- Scroll down to Friends on the left side of your News Feed and click More.
- Click Create List.
- Enter a name for your list and the names of friends you’d like to add. Keep in mind you can add or remove friends from your lists at any time.
- Click Create.
To add friends to a custom list:
- In the left menu of your home page, scroll down to the Friends section
- Click on the name of the list you want to edit
- In the top right, enter names of friends you want to add in the "Add friends to this list" box.
To remove someone you're friends with from a list:
- From your list, click See All in the top right
- Hover over the person you want to remove and then click X
- Click Finish
Keep in mind you can add a friend to more than one list.
The Acquaintances list is for friends you don’t need to stay in close touch with. People on your Acquaintances list will rarely show up in your News Feed. You can also choose to exclude these people when you post something, by choosing Friends except Acquaintances in the audience selector. No one will be notified if you add them to this list.
You can add a bunch of friends to your Acquaintances list at once:
- Go to your Acquaintances list by clicking Friends on your sidebar > Acquaintances.
- Find the List Suggestions section on the left and click See All Suggestions where we'll show you a list of friends you haven't interacted with much on Facebook recently.
- Click on the friends you don't want to add to your Acquaintances list to un-select them. Then click Add To Acquaintances.
If you don't want to add any of the friends listed to your Acquaintances list, click Skip at any time.
You can add or remove friends from any of your friends lists, including smart lists.
To edit a smart list:
- Scroll down to Friends on the left side of your News Feed.
- Click More
- Click the name of the smart list you want to edit (ex: Close Friends, Acquaintances)
- Click Manage List in the top-right corner and select Edit List
- Click Add Friend.
- Hover over the Friend Request Sent box.
- Select the lists you want to add this person to. If you don't see the list you'd like to add them to, select Add to another list... to view all of your lists or create a new list.
This person will be added to the lists you chose when they confirm your friend request.Note: You can manage any new lists you create from your lists page.
- Click (at the top of every Facebook page) to see a list of your pending friend requests.
- On the request, click Confirm.
- Hover over the Friends button to see your lists.
- Select the lists you want to add this person to. If you don't see the name of the list you're looking for, click Add to another list... and choose another list or click New List link to create a new list.
Managing Your Lists
You can edit the name of any list that you create. To edit the name of one of your lists:
- Go to your home page and click More next to either Friends or Interests
- Click on the list you want to edit
- Click the Manage List dropdown at the top of the page
- Select Rename List
- Type in the new name and save your changes
When you change the name of a smart list, only you can see the new name. So if Bob changes the name of his San Francisco list to "SF People" and shares with that list, the friends on that list will still see “Bob’s San Francisco Friends” in the audience icon. Remember that when you share with a list, the friends you share with can only see the name of the list if it’s a smart list.
Note: Close Friends, Acquaintances and Restricted lists can’t be renamed.
Lists you create
To delete a friend list you created:
- Scroll down to Friends on the left side of your News Feed and click More
- Click on the list you want to delete
- Click Delete List
To delete an interest list you created:
- Scroll down to Interests on the left side of your News Feed and click More
- Click on the list you want to delete
- Click Delete Lists
To archive a smart list
- Click on name of the list you want to archive
- Click on the Manage List dropdown and select Archive List
Note: You can’t delete Close Friends, Acquaintances or Restricted lists, but these lists will stop appearing on your homepage if you don't use them.
When you add someone to your Close Friends list, you’ll automatically receive notifications about what that person posts on Facebook. You can adjust the settings for these notifications:
- From your News Feed, click Friends in the left column. You might have to click More to see the Friends section.
- Click Close Friends to view the list.
- Click Notifications in the top right and select your preference.
If you're getting notifications when people post and they aren't on your Close Friends list, learn how to receive fewer notifications.
Privacy and Lists
People who can see your post can also see the audience you chose to share with:
- Friends (+)
- Only Me
Keep in mind, when you post you can choose who you're sharing with.
When you use the Custom audience option to share a post with a list or specific people, the people you share the post with may be able to see each other's names. No one is able to see who a post is hidden from or the name of the list the post is shared with.Note: If you share with one of your smart lists, the people on that list will be able to see the name of the list.