Facebook's Name Policy
Facebook is a community where people use their real identities. We require everyone to provide their real names, so you always know who you're connecting with. This helps keep our community safe.
Names can’t include:
- Symbols, numbers, unusual capitalization, repeating characters or punctuation
- Characters from multiple languages
- Titles of any kind (ex: professional, religious, etc)
- Words, phrases, or nicknames in place of a middle name
- Offensive or suggestive content of any kind
Other things to keep in mind:
- The name you use should be your real name as it would be listed on your credit card, student ID, etc.
- Nicknames can be used as a first or middle name if they're a variation of your real first or last name (like Bob instead of Robert)
- You can also list another name on your account (ex: maiden name, nickname, or professional name), by adding an alternate name to your Timeline
- Only one person's name should be listed on the account – Timelines are for individual use only
- Pretending to be anything or anyone is not allowed
If your real name isn’t listed on your account and you’re unable to change it, let us know.
If you'd like to represent a business, brand, pet, idea or organization, you can create a Page.
- Review our name standards
- Click in the upper-right corner of any Facebook page and select Settings
- Look for the Name setting and click Edit to the far right
- Type in your name and save your changes
Keep in mind:
- To help make sure that everyone uses their real name, we limit the number of times you can change your name.
- If you weren't able to change your name, we may be able to help.
If you'd like to list a second name on your account (ex: maiden name, nickname, professional name), you can add an alternate name from your account settings.
To display an alternate name:
- Click at the top right of any Facebook page and select Settings.
- Click General in the left column.
- Find the setting Name and click Edit to the far right.
- Enter your alternate name. Learn about our alternate name policies.
- Check Include this on my Timeline to have your alternate name listed on your Timeline. Otherwise, it will only help people find you in search.
- Click Save Changes.
Note: If you checked the box to have your alternate name listed on your Timeline, it'll appear next to your name at the top of your personal Timeline. It'll also show up next to your name in search results and any friend requests you send. If you have a large number of followers, you may be prompted to verify your account when you add an alternate name to your Timeline.
If you want to list your professional title on your Timeline, you will need to add it as an alternate name. Professional titles aren't allowed as part of your primary name.
Additionally, if you'd like to have a professional presence on Facebook (ex: Ms. Smith's 9th Grade Science Class), we recommend creating a Page or group. This will help you connect with the right audience and keep your professional life separate from your personal life.