Your Facebook Web Address
You can customize the web address for your timeline or Facebook Page by selecting a unique username. It will appear in the location bar of your browser after "https://www.facebook.com/" when you view your timeline or Page. Your username is also in your Facebook email address for your personal account (ex: email@example.com).
A common example of a username is some variation on your name. For example, someone named Jane Doe might choose "jane.doe" for her username so her friends can visit her timeline by going to www.facebook.com/jane.doe. Similarly, you can choose an extension for your Page web address that resembles your Page's name to make it easier for people to find you on Facebook (ex: https://www.facebook.com/facebooktips). Usernames are not the same as your name or Page name.
Selecting a Username
You can choose a username that Facebook suggests or create your own. Select Check availability to see if the username you want is available. If it is, click Confirm to confirm your choice. If you've already chosen a username for your Page, learn how to change it.
Note: You must be manager-level admin to choose a username for a Page.
- You can't claim a username someone else is already using.
- Choose a username you'll be happy with for the long term. Usernames are not transferable and you can only change your username once.
- Usernames can only contain alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9) or a period (".").
- Periods (".") and capitalization don't count as a part of a username. For example, johnsmith55, John.Smith55 and john.smith.55 are all considered the same username.
- Usernames must be at least 5 characters long and can't contain generic terms.
- You must be manager-level admin to choose a username for a Page.
- Your username must adhere to Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.
If the username you want is already taken or not approved, you'll need to pick a different one. In addition, make sure the username you're trying to claim follows our guidelines for custom usernames. Keep in mind that we prevent certain words from being included in usernames.
Note: You must be a manager-level admin to set a username for your Page.
A username is the extension of a customized web address for your timeline or Facebook Page. A common example of a username is some variation on your name. For example, someone named Jane Doe might choose "jane.doe" for her username so her friends can visit her timeline by going to www.facebook.com/jane.doe.
If you wish to report a person or Page's username, please contact us.
Changing Your Username
You can only change the username for your personal timeline once. To change your username:
- Click at the top right of any Facebook page and choose Account Settings
- Click General in the left-hand column
- Look for the setting Username and click Edit to the far right
- Type your new username in the open field and click Save Changes
Page admins can also change their Page's username once. Learn how to change your Page's username.
First, secure your account to make sure that no one else has access to it:
- If you still have access to your account, reset your password.
- If your account was compromised by someone and you can't access it, secure it.
Once you've secured your account, you can change your username. Please keep in mind that you can only change your username once.