To share a link, enter the URL into the share menu at the top of your Timeline or homepage. You can include a message next to your link if you like. Be sure to set privacy before you post, then click Post.
While you're browsing the web, you may also see opportunities to post links back to Facebook. Clicking a Like or Recommend button on another website can create a story for you on Facebook.
Click Share under the post you want to share. You'll see a pop-up window that lets you choose how and with whom you want to share. Pick one of the following options from the dropdown menu:
- On your own Timeline: Choosing this option creates a post on your Timeline. Control who can see your post by choosing an audience from the lock icon dropdown, and write an optional update in the open field.
- On a friend's Timeline: This option lets you post the content to a friend's Timeline. Type your friend's name, and then an optional message in the open field.
- In a group: This option lets you post the content to a group you're a member of. Type the group's name, and then an optional message in the open field.
- In a private message: Use this option to share privately with an individual or small group of friends. Enter your friends' names, and then an optional message in the open field.
Group admins can choose if links can be posted to a group. To post links:
- Go to your group
- Copy and paste the web address (URL) at the top of your group where you share posts
- Click Post
If you're in an Open group, the links will be visible to everyone who views the group. The links posted on Closed and Secret groups are only visible to other members. Keep in mind that admins have the ability to remove links.
To post a link to an event:
- Go to an event
- Copy and paste the web address (URL) in the white text box
- Click Post
If this is an open event, the links will be visible to everyone who views the event. Please remember that admins have the ability to remove links that they do not want to be associated with their events.
To tag someone in your post, start typing their name and then select their profile from the dropdown menu that appears (make sure to capitalize the first letter of their name). To tag a Page, type the “@” symbol and then start typing the Page’s name.
When you comment on a post, you can link to someone in your response by following the same steps as above. Comment links create a link to that person's profile and may send them a notification so they can stay up-to-date on the conversation. Delete a comment to remove a comment link.
To remove a link before you post, hover your mouse over the link and click the x in the top right corner. You'll also need to delete the text of the link from your post.
To delete a link after you post it, you'll need to delete the post.