Creating & Editing Events
To create an event:
- Click Events in the left menu of your homepage.
- Click Create Event in the top right.
- Fill in the event name, details, location and time, and then choose your privacy settings. Keep in mind that you must include an event name and time.
- Click Invite Friends to add friends to the guest list. Check the names of the people you want to invite and then click Save.
- Click Create.
To invite people to your event you've already created:
- Go to the event
- Click Share > Invite Friends in the top right
- Search for and select friends to invite and then click Send.
To invite people to your invite while creating an event:
- Start creating your event.
- Click Invite Friends.
- Allow guests to invite their friends to an Invite Only event by clicking Edit in the top right of your event and choosing Guests can invite friends. If you've chosen Friends of Guests for your event's privacy, your guests' friends can join the event.
As an event host, you can choose different privacy settings for who can see, join or add guests to your event.
Members of a group can create group events:
- Click in the top right of your group
- Select Create Event from the dropdown menu
- Fill in the event details and then click Create
Once you create an event, you'll be set as the host. The event will appear on the group's Wall and members can choose to join. You can also invite your entire group to an event by clicking Invite all members while creating your event.
Any host can add more hosts to an event. To add a host, click Edit at the top right of the event and then add names to the Host field.
Hosts can invite more people to an event, make other people hosts and edit event details. When you create an event, you're automatically listed as the host.
If your event is happening at a place, like a restaurant or a park, you can add it to your event along with a map, directions and weather info.
To add a place to an event you're creating:
- Start creating an event and then enter the place where the event is happening next to Where.
- Choose your place from the suggestions in the dropdown. Keep in mind that a place won't appear if you just type in a physical address (ex: 123 Main Street).
- Fill in the date and time next to When.
- Fill in all event details.
- Click Create
To add a place to an event you've already created:
- Go to your event
- Enter where your event is happening in the Add a Place? field
- Click Add
To edit the place for your event:
- Go to your event and click Edit in the top right
- Change the place next to Where
- Click Save
If a host has listed a place for an event that's linked to a Facebook Page with a location, people will be able to view a map and directions on the event. A host can add or edit the address at any time.
To add or edit an address:
- Go to the event and click Edit in the top right
- Go to Where and then add or edit the address
- Click Save
Weather info will appear on your event page if you’ve added a place to it. You can also preview the weather while you're creating or editing an event that has a place.
Keep in mind that weather info won't appear if you just type in a physical address (ex: 123 Main Street) as your place.
To create a repeat event:
- Click from an event you hosted or attended and then select Copy Event
- You can keep or edit the name, details, location, privacy and time of the event
- Click Create
Friends who were guests of the previous event will be invited to your repeat event.
To send a message to your event guest list:
- Go to your event and then click > Message Guests
- Enter the names of specific guests or click Select All to message everyone on your guest list
- Click Start Chat
You can also use your event's Wall to get in touch with the people you've invited to your event. This will keep all of your event info in one place for all of your guests to see.
One of the best ways to get people to join your event is to share posts about your event on your Page, Timeline or in your group.
If you're trying to let others know about your event by inviting people, keep in mind that you should only invite people you know or people you know are interested in the event. Events with large invite lists often get reported as spam, so we limit the maximum number of people any one person can invite. This helps make it a positive experience for both event hosts and guests.
There are also other ways people can find your event. When people visit their Events, they can discover suggested events created by Pages that they like and groups they're in.
To add a main photo for an event as the host:
- Click Add Event Photo at the top right of the event. Event photos must be at least 714 by 264 pixels, and you can choose to upload a new photo or pick a photo from one of your Facebook albums.
- Once you choose a photo, you can reposition it by clicking on the image and dragging it up or down.
- Click Save Changes. If you'd like to upload more photos or video, you can post them on the Wall of the event by clicking Add Photo/Video.
To add photos or videos to an event as a guest, go to the event and then click Add Photo/Video. You can add photos to the event from your photo albums on Facebook or upload a photo from your computer.
If this is a public event, anyone who views the event can see its photos and videos. The photos and videos posted on private events are only visible to people who were invited. Hosts can remove photos or videos from their event.
We put limits on the number of guests you can invite to an event if they're not likely to respond and join your events. To help make a positive experience for hosts and guests, you should only invite people you know or people you know are interested in the event.
We recommend sharing the event on your Timeline or your Page's Timeline to let people know about your event. You can also ask your guests to invite people that they know would be interested if you've allowed that in your event privacy settings.
To cancel your event, click Edit in the top right of your event and then click Cancel Event.
When you cancel an event, a notification will be sent to everyone who was invited and hasn't already declined or removed themselves from the invite. Hosts can post in the event (ex: to explain why the event was canceled), and guests can still comment on existing posts.
A host can remove anyone from an event who was sent an invitation, except the event’s creator. To remove someone:
- On the right side of your event, go to Guests and then click See All
- Choose All in the dropdown
- Click x next to the person you’d like to remove
People won't receive a notification that they've been removed. They won't get future messages or notifications from the event, and it'll no longer appear in their events.
If your event has fewer than 5,000 people invited, you can change the name for 60 days after creating it. You can't change the name of an event if it has more than 5,000 people invited.
To edit the name of your event, go to Edit, change the text in the Name field and then click Save.