To log into your Facebook account:
- Make sure no one else is logged in
- To log someone else out, click at the top right of your Facebook homepage and select Log Out
- Go to the top of www.facebook.com and enter one of the following:
- Email address: You can log in with any email address that is currently listed on your Facebook account
- Username: You can also log in with your username
- Mobile number: If you have a mobile number confirmed on your account you can enter it here (skip the zeros before the country code and any symbols)
Don't have a Facebook account? Learn how to sign up.
If you don't have a Facebook account, you can sign up for one in a few steps. To sign up for a new account, enter your name, birthday, gender and email address into the form on www.facebook.com and pick a password.
If you already have a Facebook account, you can log into your account from the same page. To log in, enter your email address and password at the top of the page and click Log In.
If you're having trouble logging into your account:
Note: We're unable to reply to every bug report, but we may contact you for more details as we investigate. Thanks for taking the time to help us improve Facebook.
To update the email addresses listed on your Facebook account:
- Click at the top right of any Facebook page and select Settings
- Click General in the column on the left, then click the Email section
- Click Remove to delete an address from your account or click Add another email to add a new email to your account
- Enter your password
- Click Save Changes
When you add a new email address to your account we'll send you a confirmation email. Click the link in the email to confirm you want this email address added to your Facebook account.
Keep Your Info Safe
You can log into Facebook using any of the email addresses listed on your account. One way to keep your account safe is to make sure the email addresses listed on your account are accurate. We also recommend adding an extra email address to your account in case you ever lose access to your main email address.
If you're having trouble logging in, make sure you enter your entire phone number, including the country code. Leave out any extra zeros, + signs or other special characters. If you still can't log in or if you forgot your password, get help.
Note: If you signed up for Facebook from your mobile phone, you can use your phone number and the password you created during the signup process to log in from a computer or phone.
I lost access to the email address I use for Facebook
- Go to the Facebook login page and click Can't log in? in the top right.
- Fill out the form to identify your account.
- Look at the list of email addresses listed on your account. If you don't have access to any of these, click No longer have access to these?
- Follow the directions provided to answer your security question or get help from friends, if you see these options, or contact your email service provider.
Once you get back into your account you can change your login email address at any time from your Account Settings. You can also log into Facebook with any email address you've added to your account.
If you signed up for a Facebook account using someone else's email address:
- Make sure you have a secure email address that only you can access
- Log into your Facebook account
- Add your email address to your account
You'll receive an email asking you to confirm that you want this email address listed on your Facebook account. After you confirm this, you can then go back to your settings and remove the email address that doesn't belong to you.
I get an error message when I try to log in
We're sorry to hear you're having trouble logging in. If you're seeing an error saying your password's incorrect and you're sure you're entering the right password:
If you're seeing one of these error messages when you try to reset your password:
- Invalid Code: Be sure to copy and paste the full code from the email you received into the space provided
- Invalid Link: Try copying the full link from the password reset email and pasting it into your browser's address bar
If you're still seeing an error, request another password.
Maintaining access to your account
If there ever comes a time where you can’t log into your Facebook account, we need ways to get in touch with you and make sure the account is yours. Here are some things you can do to help make sure you never get locked out of your account:
- Add another email address to your account so you always have a backup.
- Make sure you and only you can access the email addresses listed on your Facebook account. Anyone with access to one of the email addresses listed on your account can request a new password for your Facebook account. If you lose access to one of your extra email addresses, be sure to remove it from your Facebook account.
- Add your mobile number to your account. We can also send things (ex: a code to reset your password) to your mobile phone.
- Use your real name and date of birth on your account so we can find your profile if you ever lose access to it.
- Check out our extra security features.
Yes. This ad is from Facebook. We want to make sure you don't get locked out of your account so we've put together a tool to help you check the security of your account and update your info.
We recommend that you add other contact info to your account (ex: another email address or mobile phone number) so we can contact you if you ever lose access to your main email address. Note that we may ask you to re-enter your password when updating sensitive account info. Get started.