Add a Profile Picture & Cover Photo
Your profile picture helps people recognize you on Facebook. To add a profile picture or change your current profile picture:
- Go to your Timeline (which we sometimes refer to as your profile) and hover over your profile picture
- Click Edit Profile Picture to edit your picture
- Choose whether you want to:
- Pick a photo you already uploaded to Facebook
- Take a new photo
- Upload a photo from your computer
- Remove your current photo
You can use any of the photos you've uploaded to Facebook, or photos your friends have uploaded, if you're tagged in them:
- Click on the photo you want to use to expand it
- Hover over the photo and select Options
- Click Make Profile Picture
- Crop the photo and click Done Cropping
Keep in mind, your current profile picture is public.
To see a history of all of your profile photos, click your current profile picture to open your Profile Pictures album. As you click through old profile pictures, you'll have the option to tag them, add captions, change who you share them with or delete them from the album.
To view your friends' old profile pictures, click their current profile picture while viewing their Timeline.
Note: Like your cover photo, your current profile photo is public. You can edit the privacy of old profile photos using the audience selector.
To delete a profile picture:
- Click on your current profile picture
- Click through the album to find the photo you want to delete
- Click Options under the photo
- Select Delete This Photo from the dropdown menu
- Click Confirm
The thumbnail version of your profile picture is the smaller version you and your friends see next to your name when not looking at your Timeline. To adjust what part of your profile picture serves as the thumbnail:
- Hover your mouse over your current profile picture and click Edit Profile Picture
- Select Edit Thumbnail from the dropdown menu
- Click and drag the image to move it around, then click Save
Yes. Your profile picture must be at least 180 pixels wide.
If you're unsure of whether or not your picture meets this requirement, you can right-click on the picture to see the photo properties, which should include the photo dimensions (ex: 100 x 91 would be too small).
If you can’t find the photo’s dimensions, try uploading the picture and assigning it as your profile picture. You will see the following error message if the image is too small:
A cover photo is the larger photo at the top of your Timeline, right above your profile picture. Like your profile picture, cover images are public, which means anyone visiting your Timeline will be able to see them.
We've found that people have a better experience viewing your Timeline when they see a cover that is as unique and individualized as you are. This helps people learn more about you. It also helps us prevent spam, fake profiles, and other content that can detract from your experience on Facebook. An easy way to ensure your cover image is unique is to choose an image from your life, like a photo from a wedding, day at the beach, or birthday party. If you want to use a photo to show solidarity or express support for a cause or organization, you can still post a status or photo.To add or change your cover photo:
- Go to your Timeline
- Click Add a Cover, or hover over your current cover photo and click Change Cover
- Choose whether you want to upload a new photo or pick a photo from one of your existing photo albums
- Once you choose a photo, you can reposition it by clicking on the image and dragging it up or down
- Click Save
Your profile picture is the picture that friends see next to your name everywhere on Facebook. This is how people recognize you.
Your cover photo is the large image at the top of your Timeline. This is your chance to feature a unique image that represents who you are or what you care about.
Note: Like your profile picture, cover photos are public, which means anyone will be able to see them.
- Go to your Timeline
- Hover over your cover photo
- Click Change Cover
- Pick one of the options from the pop-up menu (ex: Upload Photo, Choose from Photos, Reposition, Remove)
- Save your changes
You can see all of your cover photos by clicking Photos at the top of your Timeline (under your cover photo) and finding the Cover Photos album in your Albums tab.
Since your cover photo goes across the entire width of your Timeline (which we sometimes refer to as your profile), the image you pick has to be at least 720 pixels wide. This means you may not have the option to choose certain photos as your cover photo, or you may get an error if you try uploading a photo that isn’t big enough. If the photo you want to use is too small, try uploading the photo in high resolution or choosing a different photo.