Your Facebook Web Address
You can customize the web address for your Timeline or Facebook Page by selecting a unique username. It will appear in the location bar of your browser after "https://www.facebook.com/" when you view your Timeline or Page.
A common example of a username is some variation on your name. For example, someone named Jane Doe might choose "jane.doe" for her username so her friends can visit her Timeline by going to www.facebook.com/jane.doe. Similarly, you can choose an extension for your Page web address that resembles your Page's name to make it easier for people to find you on Facebook (ex: https://www.facebook.com/facebooktips). Usernames are not the same as your name or Page name.
Learn how to customize your Timeline or Page web address.
Not at this time. Usernames can only contain alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9) or a period ("."). We're looking at how we may potentially support non-romanized characters in the future.
Selecting a Username
You can choose a username that Facebook suggests or create your own. Select Check availability to see if the username you want is available. If it is, click Confirm to confirm your choice. If you've already chosen a username for your Page, learn how to change it.
Note: You must be manager-level admin to choose a username for a Page.
- You can't claim a username someone else is already using.
- Choose a username you'll be happy with for the long term. Usernames are not transferable and you can only change your username once.
- Usernames can only contain alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9) or a period (".").
- Periods (".") and capitalization don't count as a part of a username. For example, johnsmith55, John.Smith55 and john.smith.55 are all considered the same username.
- Usernames must be at least 5 characters long and can't contain generic terms.
- You must be manager-level admin to choose a username for a Page.
- Your username must adhere to Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.
Usernames may be unavailable for many reasons, even if it seems like they aren't being used. For example, a username could be taken by a Page that isn't published yet. Also, we prevent certain words from being included in usernames. Make sure the username you're trying to claim follows our guidelines for custom usernames. If the username you want is already taken or not approved, you'll need to pick a different one.
Keep in mind that usernames may become available on a first-come, first-served basis. To see if a username has become available, go to facebook.com/username.
Note: You must be a manager to set a username for your Page.
At this time, usernames are only available for Timelines and Pages.
- Groups: If you're an admin of a group, you can set a unique URL for that group by creating an email address. Learn how.
- Events: At this time, there's no way to create a unique Facebook URL for an event.
Facebook reserves the right to remove and/or reclaim any username at any time for any reason. Please read the Facebook Statement of Rights and Responsibilities for more information.
Changing Your Username
You can only change the username for your personal Timeline once. To change your username:
- Click at the top right of any Facebook page and select Settings
- Click Username
- Enter your new username and your password, then click Save Changes
Page admins can also change their Page's username once. Learn how to change your Page's username.
You can only change your Page's username once. If the username you want is available and you haven't changed your Page's username already, you may be able to change it.
To change your Page's username:
- Go to facebook.com/username
- Below Create your Facebook web address, select your Page from the dropdown menu
- Enter a username and click Check Availability
- If the username is available, click Confirm to save it
If you've already changed the username for your Page, you won't be able to change it again. Keep in mind that you must be a manager-level admin of the Page to change the username.
If your account was taken over by someone else, you should first secure your account to make sure no one else has access to it:
- If you still have access to your account, reset your password
- If you can't access your account, secure it
Once you've secured your account, you can change your username. Please keep in mind that you can only change your username once.