Social Media: The Human Side of Marketing
Where traditional marketing mediums such as TV, radio, print, and out-of-home attempt to optimize the reach, frequency, impressions, circulation, and exposure of marketing messages to a given market, social media networks offer a more “human” approach to engaging customers.
It is amazing how so many companies today, small and large, still haven’t really grasped the true power of social media to connect with their customers on a much deeper level. Sure, traditional mass marketing techniques are still effective for driving specific calls-to-action or achieving goals such as spreading awareness or offering information on particular products and services; However, there are many things that marketers can do to really connect with their customers via social media that just aren’t possible through traditional mediums. Here are some examples:
- Engage customers directly and communicate with them on a daily basis
- Reach millions of customers and offer engaging ways to interact with them
- Prove your appreciation by offering your customers exclusive discounts and offers
- Engage in dialogue and gain valuable insight on how they truly feel about your brand
- Make your customers feel appreciated and special by talking to them personally
- Provide relevant content instantly from any internet connection around the globe
- Create fun and exciting contests or challenges to really engage your customers
The list can go on and on, but you get the point. Now that you have a better understanding of some of the ways you can engage your customers via social media, let’s take a look at the benefits you can enjoy as the result of such activity:
- Establish online communities for engaging your customers (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.)
- Collect valuable insight into how to change or improve on your product or service offerings
- Drive brand affinity and customer loyalty
- Drastically improve your marketing ROI with effective and affordable social media campaigns
- Integrate various social apps to optimize reach to your customers from multiple touch points
- Offer dynamic multimedia content through video, live streaming, games, mobile apps, etc.
In conclusion, it is safe to say that social media is continuing to soar and has become an integral part of the daily lives of people of all ages all around the world. That said, you can safely say that the majority of your customers use social networks such as Facebook and Twitter multiple times a day. In fact, people spend more time online these days than they do watching TV or listening to the radio. The facts speak for themselves, and the time is now to start showing your customers the human side of your business by engaging them on a more personal level. The possibilities truly are endless when it comes to social media marketing, and in the unfortunate case that your business still lacks a social media presence, all I can say is: Facebook.