Help us spread awareness about early detection by donating your facebook and twitter updates for the month of September, or Fucktember as we like to call it.
- I have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and Barrett’s esophagus
- I smoke or chew tobacco
- I drink a lot of alcohol
- I have irritation or damage caused by exposure to chemicals or drinking very hot liquids often
- I have had other cancers in the head, neck or digestive system
Early Warning Signs:
- difficult or painful swallowing
- weight loss
- loss of appetite
- feeling very tired
- pain in the throat or back, behind the breastbone or between the shoulder blades
- hoarseness or coughing
These symptoms can often be similar to other diseases and conditions. However, if you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, make an appointment with your doctor right away. You should discuss which of the following diagnostic tools may be appropriate for you: X-ray imaging esophageal endoscopy, biopsy.
For additional information contact:
The Canadian Cancer Society at www.cancer.ca or call toll-free 1-888-939-3333.
The American Cancer Society at www.cancer.org or call toll-free 1-800-227-2345
This information was provided by the Canadian Cancer Society.
Remember, early detection equals survival!