Sundays with Amma: Chicken Fried Steak
* 1 pound round steak, cut into 4 portions, pounded to tenderize
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
* 2/3 cup buttermilk
* 1 cup cracker meal or crushed saltine crackers
* 3 tablespoons cooking (vegetable) oil
* 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
* 1 cup milk
- Combine flour and pepper in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- Pour buttermilk into a second shallow bowl.
- Put cracker meal into a third shallow bowl.
- Sprinkle steaks with salt; dredge in the flour, dip into the buttermilk, then coat well with the cracker crumbs, pressing with hands if necessary to help crumbs adhere.
- Place cooking oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook steaks for about 3 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned and cooked through. Drain off most of the excess fat, leaving the dregs, or browned bits.
- To make gravy, add soup and milk to the skillet drippings with the steaks; stirring and scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Serve steaks with the hot, creamy gravy.