Our Cemetery - Points of Interest For Parishioners & Visitors

May 25, 2009 at 1:32am
With Appreciation of Our Cemetery Gardening Volunteers

Thanks to the work of Richard Greenaway, Jim Gardner, Elizabeth Aldous, Reuben Higham, Dennis and Helen Hills, we can know more about some of the family history stories associated with our cemetery.
I have used their records to make the following compilation.
Mandy Neil, 2008

Out of 37 families researched, there are:
• 27 people who arrived on the first four ships
• 20 St Paul’s parishioners
• 2 Vicars of St. Paul’s
• 9 Anglican priests
• 12 Christ’s College pupils
• 9 St Michael and All Angels parishioners
• 4 St Mary’s Merivale parishioners
• 19 parishioners from other Christchurch parishes
• 2 missionaries
• 2 Cathedral Commission members (those responsible for having the Cathedral built)
• 6 Canterbury Provincial Councillors
• 5 Knights or children of Baronets
• 3 Victoria Crosses awarded
• 2 Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalrymen
• 19 wealthy businessmen/landowners
• 23 people who gave their names to Christchurch places
• 33 people who achieved significant ‘firsts’ for Canterbury and/or New Zealand

Have You Heard The One About The . . . . . ?
the school benefactor, the Derby winner, the clever headmistress, the church builder, the failed politician, the ‘pretending’ Anglicans, the bird fancier, the grandest funeral, the devout schoolteacher,
the ‘snake in the grass’, the passionate cricketer, the muddy ladies, the royal ostrich feathers, the crooked lawyer, the silent bells, the devout schoolteacher, the emigrant’s mutiny, the Bishop’s daughter, the cycling Sunday School teacher, the illegal prize fight, the perfect tunnel alignment, the family of organists, the ‘beloved verger’, the posthumous Victoria Cross winner, the bankrupt miller, the mansions and the cob cottages, the partridges and the fruit trees.

Their stories are all in our cemetery records!

1. William (1828-1883) and Eliza (1826 -1890) Higham. Farmers.
  • Arrived on Cressy, 1850, with sons George Skeen (1846-1914)1a who married Mary Ann Claridge in 1875, 10 children, & John (1847)

  • Eight more children were born in Canterbury: Charles (1848), William (1854), James (1856) 1b, Emily (1858), Mary Ann (1860), Ellen (1863), Thomas (1864-1942), Eliza (1867-1934).

  • Farmed in Papanui until they bought property in Prebbleton in 1863.

  • Neighbours of Edward Hack, who helped him build his sod whare, with another neighbour,Thomas Claridge.

  • Present day parishioners, Reuben and Margaret Higham, are Grandson and Great grand daughter, of George and Mary Ann.


  • 2. Robert Heaton Rhodes (senior) 1817-1884. Farmer.
  • Married Sophia Circuit Latter (1833-1906)

  • Arrived in Canterbury from Australia in 1850. Home called ‘Elmwood’.

  • Father of William, Robert Heaton Rhodes (Jnr) Joseph and George.

  • Active member at St Mary’s, Merivale.

  • Provincial Councillor and Deputy Superintendent.

  • Established NZ Shipping Co. with C. Turner, and Kaiapoi Woollens.

  • Purchased ‘Rhodes Swamp’ , now called Marshland.

  • In today’s money, worth $150,000,000 at his death.

  • Gave the land for Heaton, Rhodes, Circuit Streets, Elmwood.

  • Member of the Cathedral Commission with Edward Dobson.

  • Paid for the Cathedral bells and the Cathedral spire.


  • Sir Robert Heaton Rhodes K.C.V.O., K.B.E. Bailiff, Grand Cross, Order of St John of Jerusalem. (1861- 1956) Barrister. Farmer.
  • Born at Purau, educated in England.

  • Married Jessie Cooper Clark (1868-1929) in 1891.

  • Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalryman 30 years after William Thompson.

  • Went to Boer War taking his own horses in 1902.

  • Member of Parliament for Ellesmere from 1899.

  • Postmaster and Minister of Public Health and Defence.

  • Helped establish Nurse Maude District Nursing Scheme.

  • First Knight Commander of the Order of St John, 1931.

  • Established ‘Otahuna’ and gave daffodil bulbs to Gardens & Hospital.

  • Established NZ’s first Norfolk Red Poll cattle herd.

  • Helped establish Royal New Zealand Air Force.

  • Cousin of ‘daredevil’ William Barnard Rhodes Moorhouse, who was the first airman to be awarded the V.C. in World War I. (posthumous)

  • President of Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Assn.

  • Gave the land for Heaton Intermediate School

  • Demonstrated a first aerial top-dressing at Otahuna.

  • Knighted in 1920, and again in 1927.


  • 3. Edward Dobson (1816-1908) First Provincial Engineer.
  • Arrived on Cressy, 1850, aged 34, with his two eldest sons.

  • Married Mary Ann (1821-1913) who came on Fatima in 1851.

  • One of the original purchasers of Canterbury Association land.

  • Member of the Cathedral Commission with Robert Heaton Rhodes. The Cathedral Commission carried the responsibility for the building of the Christchurch Cathedral.

  • Explorer: First European to cross the Southern Alps, up near the Hurunui River.

  • Father of Sir Arthur Dudley Dobson who found ‘Arthur’s Pass’, which was found to be the more suitable crossing of the Southern Alps through which a road could pass.

  • Father of George, killed by the infamous Burgess-Kelly-Levy gang, who mistook him for a gold buyer while he was exploring alone on the Arnold River near Lake Brunner. The township of Dobson, near Greymouth, is named in his memory.

  • Father-in-law of Sir Julius von Haast, discoverer of Haast Pass.

  • Introduced NZ’s first telegraph line between ChCh and Lyttelton.

  • Established NZ’s first railway between ChCh and Ferrymead.

  • Established the Canterbury Railway system.

  • Engineered the Lyttelton Rail Tunnel.

  • Lecturer in Engineering at Canterbury University College.

  • Ancestor of current parishioner of St Paul’s, Mrs Irene McLaughlan.


  • 4. Joseph and Alice Pattrick. Farmers.
  • Arrived on Cressy, 1850, with six children.

  • Methodists who pretended to be Anglicans to enable them to purchase land through the Canterbury. Association.

  • Settled near Cranford St, English Park area on the land of George Dickinson, a wealthy Methodist, who was related to the Dukes of St. Albans. Gave the name to St Albans in 1851.

  • Parents of Thomas Pattrick, butcher ( 1847-1931)

  • Grandparents of Anne Pattrick, first Director of Plunket Nursing.

  • Joseph died in 1880.


  • 5. Thomas Smith Duncan (1821-1884) Provincial Solicitor & Councillor.
  • Arrived on Randolph, 1850, aged 31.

  • Married Eliza, who was buried in Wellington, in 1910.

  • Named his property ‘Strowan’ after ‘St Rowan’, a family estate in Scotland. Gave this name to the whole area he owned.

  • Some of his land was sold and later became St Andrew’s College land.

  • First Crown Prosecutor for ChCh Supreme Court.

  • First President of Canterbury Law Society.

  • His legal firm survives today as Duncan, Cotterill and Co.


  • 6. William Guise Brittan (1809 – 1876) Surveyor, Provincial Councillor.
  • First person to apply to purchase land from the Canty. Assn.

  • Arrived on Sir George Seymour, 1850, aged 41.

  • Another Item

  • Married Louisa, who died in 1901.

  • Father of Harriette Louisa who married Charles Coates (priest) 1881.

  • Father of WGB jnr. & Rev’d. Frederick George Brittan, St Paul’s Vicar.

  • His property ‘Englefield’ still exists at north end of Fitzgerald Ave.

  • Owned two country sheep runs: ‘Landsdowne’ and ‘Halswell Station’.

  • Raised the first partridges, and pioneered Canterbury cricket.

  • Parishioner of St Paul’s, and member of first Diocesan Synod 1859.

  • Donated the timber for the first St Paul’s building (1852).

  • Generous supporter of churches at Avonside and Halswell.

  • Dean of Christchurch took his funeral. His cortege of carriages and cabs travelled from Cashel St house to St Paul’s.


  • William Guise Brittan Jnr. (1844-1916) Christ’s College Bursar.
  • Arrived on Sir George Seymour, 1850, aged 6.

  • Son of WGB sen. Brother of Rev’d. Frederick Brittan, St Paul’s Vicar.

  • Educated at Christ’s College, and became General Synod Rep.

  • St Michael’s Churchwarden and Sunday School Superintendent.

  • Diocesan Lay Reader and Churchwarden at St Augustine’s too.

  • His funeral was held in the Cathedral ‘a grand affair’ attended by Christ’s College with robed Cathedral Chapter and Clergy.


  • Reverend Frederick George Brittan (1848-1945) Priest.
  • Arrived on Sir George Seymour, aged 2.

  • Son of WGB sen. Brother of WGB jun.

  • Educated at Christ’s College, became Somes Scholar there.

  • Ordained by Bishop Harper, and became Vicar of Papanui 1873-1883 while the present St Paul’s Church was built and opened December 21st, 1877. Bishop Harper laid foundation stone on Feb 2nd 1876. Choir and clergy entered the grounds leading people singing ‘Onward Christian Soldiers’. Later taught at Christ’s College.

  • Last survivor of the original 1st Four Ships Canterbury pilgrims.

  • His funeral was at Christchurch Cathedral. He was 97.


  • 6a. Emily Sophia Foster (neé Brittan) 1842-1897. 3rd Principal of C.G.H.S.
  • Arrived on Sir George Seymour, aged 8. Daughter and sister of the above men, who educated her in Latin, Greek & Geometry.

  • Married Thomas Scholfield Foster (1854-1918) in St Paul’s, 1882.

  • Thomas was 12 years younger than Emily. He was a Somes Scholar from Christ’s College, a St Michael’s Vestryman, and Headmaster of Christchurch West School – the colony’s largest primary school. Bishop Julius officiated at his funeral.

  • Unusually, Emily kept teaching as a married woman with 3 children.


  • 7. William Norman (1816-1891) Farmer.
  • Arrived 1850 on Sir George Seymour, aged 34.

  • Married Matilda (1822-1898) at St Michael’s in 1856. 1 daughter.

  • Helped establish the Agricultural and Pastoral Association.

  • Carted black pine and totara cut from Papanui Bush for the first bridges over the Heathcote River at Ferry Road.

  • Owned a team of two magnificent grey dappled mares “Jewell” and “Diamond”. He won 1st prize for them in Christchurch’s first A and P Show in 1853. Won trophy for finest plant in show in 1871.

  • Settled on a farm at Kaiapoi, named “Highfield.”

  • Bought land in Papanui Rd near Normans Rd. Made a striking garden.

  • Member of Christchurch Horticultural Society.

  • St Paul’s churchwarden for 12 years.


  • 8. Walpole Cheshyre Fendall ( 1830- 1913) Provincial Councillor
  • Son of Yorkshire Clergyman, arrived on Sir George Seymour, 1850,

  • Settled on 50 acres, called ‘Fendall Town’, which became Fendalton.

  • Married Lucy Hyacinthe Swann ( 1831-1897) at St Michael’s in 1854.

  • They had many children, two of whom died in infancy.


  • 9. George Dunnage (1803-1853) First Vicar of St Paul’s, Papanui.
  • Arrived on Fatima, in 1851, aged 48, purchasing 50 acres in Papanui.

  • His house was shifted from England, and was the first large building erected in Papanui - where the Elms Hotel is now.

  • Suffered a stroke on the voyage out and fell victim to paralysis. Died before he could take any active part in parish life.

  • His wife, Mary, son George and daughter-in-law, Louisa, are buried with him. Their grandson Harry Herbert Ffitch was killed in action on Gallipoli, April 26th, 1915.

  • His grand daughter. Mary Dunnage, was called the ‘mother of Harewood’. She established the Sunday School there and died, 1940.


  • 10. John Beatty Gresson (1848-1891) Barrister and Solicitor
  • Arrived in 1854, aged six, the son of Canterbury’s first Judge.

  • Educated at Christ’s College and Cambridge University.

  • St Paul’s parishioner, & friend of Caleb Whitefoord, also buried here.

  • Married Frances Helen Mary Macfarlane in 1875, had six children, one born after John died: Kenneth Macfarlane Gresson (1891-1974), who was the first President of the NZ Court of Appeal, and knighted for his contribution to the legal profession. He is also buried here.

  • Was a self-injecting morphine user who ‘was playing fast and loose with his client’s money’. When he was killed falling under a train at Rangiora station, it was probably suicide.

  • His spinster daughter, Kathleen (1876-1961) also buried here.


  • 11. Robert Simeon Jackson (1838 – 1878) Priest.
  • Arrived on Duke of Portland, 1851, aged 13, with his family.

  • Educated at Christ’s College and ordained 1865 at St Michael’s.

  • Became missionary in the Diocese of Melanesia.

  • Later became Bishop Harper’s Private Secretary.

  • Diocesan Treasurer and Church Property Trustees Secretary.

  • Last year of his life, lived at Papanui Vicarage with Rev’d. Brittan.

  • Preached his last sermon at St Paul’s on Whitsunday 1878.

  • Funeral held at St Paul’s by Rev’d. Brittan assisted by Dean Jacobs.


  • 12. Charles Robert Blakiston (c.1828-1898) Justice of the Peace.
  • Arrived in Canterbury in the early 1950’s

  • Son of an English Baronet, Sir Matthew Blakiston.

  • Became Manager of the Trust and Agency Company.

  • Parishioner of St Luke’s, and Diocesan Synod Representative.

  • Married Mary Anne, a daughter of Bishop Harper, in 1858.


  • 13. William Thomson (1818-1866) Accountant, Provincial Auditor.
  • Arrived in Canterbury in1853, aged 35.

  • Owned ‘Hemingford’ which became ‘Ohinetahi’ property in Governors Bay. Also owned 50 acres in Papanui called ‘Scotstown’ which gave its name to Scotston Ave.

  • Capt. Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry & member of Provincial Council.

  • Became embroiled in a scandal by attending an illegal prizefight.

  • Married Georgiana, who is buried with him and three of their children: David, Georgiana, and Alice.

  • His funeral with full military honours was the greatest event in the history of Canterbury up to that time.


  • 14. William Travis (1827-1910) Silversmith, Watchmaker, Farmer.
  • Arrived in Canterbury in 1856, aged 29.

  • Married Sarah (1832-1897) and had four children

  • When he died, he had 22 farms, including ‘Travis Swamp’ which his sons Edward and William Henry inherited, Edward the west, and William the east.


  • 15. Edward Hack (1834-1932) Surveyor.
  • Arrived in Canterbury in 1856, aged 22.

  • Was helped to put up a sod whare in Harewood Rd by his neighbours Thomas Claridge and William Higham.

  • He was the first farmer to use a plough with a bullock team on the Canterbury Plains.

  • Married his first wife at St Michael’s in the 1850’s. They had 10 children, and after she died he married Miss Watts in 1878.

  • By 1919 he had 45 grandchildren.


  • 16. Charles Wesley Turner (1834-1906) Founder of NZ Shipping Co.
  • Arrived in Canterbury in 1857, the son of Reverend Nathaniel Turner, pioneer Bay of Islands Methodist missionary.

  • Was 3rd owner of the City Mill, on the Avon River Island opposite the old Public Library.

  • Attended Durham St Methodist Church.

  • Worked with Robert Heaton Rhodes to found the NZ Shipping Company and was its largest shareholder.

  • Owned 10 acres between Papanui Rd and Winchester St.

  • His eight sons attended Christ’s College.

  • Married Emily (1837-1881) who died at 44 after having 13 children.

  • Two daughters, Edith (1861-1921) and Adeline (1860-1938) are buried with their parents.


  • 17. James Triggs (1816-1898) Dairy Farmer and Fruit Grower.
  • Arrived with wife, Sarah Ann (1816-1898) & family in 1859, aged 43.

  • James & Sarah the same age, and Sarah died 2 months after James.

  • Their 18 year old son, John (1858-1876) was buried at St Paul’s.

  • Farmed near St Paul’s in Harewood Rd, neighbouring Henry Matson.

  • ‘Beloved Verger’ of St Paul’s during 1870’s.

  • St. James’ Park and St. James’ Ave. were named in his honour.


  • 18. John (1835-1869) and Sarah (1839-1913) Alley. Farmers.
  • Arrived in Canterbury c.1860

  • Married at St Paul’s (aged 29 & 25) by Rev’d. Lorenzo Moore in 1864.

  • Owned property next to Sawyers’ Arms’ Hotel.

  • Grandparents of Rewi Alley.

  • Parents of Henry, Frederick (Rewi Alley’s father), Amy Jane (early school teacher at Papanui, Belfast & Sydenham Schools, who was invited by her brother Frederick to name his son, and named him Rewi, after Rewi Maniapoto, the Maori warrior she admired. She is buried with her parents here.)


  • 19. Stephen Nosworthy (1828-1918) Farm Manager & Horse Breeder.
  • Arrived in NZ in 1848, came to Canterbury in 1860.

  • Managed a Robert Heaton Rhodes farm station.

  • Married at age 38 to Rebecca Ward (aged 25) at St Paul’s in 1867. Rebecca was the sister and sister-in-law of Sarah and John Alley who are also buried here. Had two sons and four unmarried daughters buried here: Jane (1876-1940), Mary (1869-1941), Rebecca (1870- 1950), Amelia (1872-1961). Parishioners at St Stephen’s Shirley.

  • One son became Sir William Nosworthy, owner of Mesopotamia Station, and MP for Ashburton.

  • Bred Canterbury Derby winner in 1870 and Canterbury Cup winners in 1872 and 1873.


  • 20. William Hannibal Lane (1828-1903) Business & Provincial Councillor.
  • Arrived in Canterbury in 1862, aged 35.

  • Married Alice (1834-1904), who is also buried here with their three sons, William, Sydney and Elliott.

  • 2nd Owner of the City Mill.

  • Prominent member of the Anglican Church.

  • Promoted the building of Anglican churches at Merivale and Sumner.

  • Director of the Press Company, Chairman of the Christchurch Gas Company, and a founder of the Canterbury Club.

  • Leased the mill to John Aulsebrook of the confectionery company.

  • 1888 the mill closed, and he let it be used by the Baptist pastor, as a house for destitute men.


  • 21. Henry Matson (1814-1885) Real Estate Agent and Sheep Importer.
  • Arrived 1862, aged 48, already a widower with 9 chn. but 5 had died.

  • A ‘grandfather’ of the Matson Family.

  • Married a much younger wife, Edith Dearden, at St Michael’s in 1867 when he was 53.

  • Settled on 29 acres at Pap. end of Harewood Rd, called ‘Delce Farm’.

  • Established H. Matson and Co. – one of the largest stock and station businesses in NZ.

  • Handed the business over to his three sons when he died.


  • John Thomas (1817-1897)
  • Arrived in Canterbury in 1895 to spend his last days amongst almost all his family who were already here.

  • Had been a prize-winning farmer and building contractor in Australia.

  • The other ‘grandfather’ of the Matson family. Had six children.

  • Father of Marion Matson, father-in-law of John Thomas Matson.


  • John Thomas Matson (1845-1895) Auctioneer Salesman.
  • Arrived in Canterbury in 1862, aged 17, with his father, Henry Matson.

  • Married Marion Thomas (1842-1917) in 1864. Her brother, John Thomas is also buried here.

  • Settled at ‘Springfield Farm’ in St Albans in the 1860’s. ‘Springfield’ House still stands in Springfield Rd. It was the 2nd largest house in ChCh, after ‘Holly Lea’ in Matson’s time.

  • Marion would have 40 people to Sunday lunch after church.

  • Conducted the first Canterbury Wool Sale.

  • Kept alpacas, given by Robert Heaton Rhodes.

  • Established first ostrich farm at Springfield in 1886 - feathers from these were presented to Queen Victoria and her daughter-in-law, Princess Alexandra, the Princess of Wales.

  • Also owned ‘Isleworth Farm’ on Harewood Road.

  • Parishioners at Papanui for over 50 years. The family would travel by coach with livery every Sunday morning to St Paul’s from Springfield.

  • A friend of Rev. F.G.Brittan, John paid for St. Paul’s bells. The first peal of five, were lost of the South African Coast when the ship bringing them to NZ sank. Insurance covered a new set and the installation of gas in the new church. Bishop Harper dedicated the bells 27th July, 1880. The Papanui Tramway opened the same day.

  • Parishioners presented him with an ‘illuminated address, beautifully emblazoned on parchment in colours and gold, on a frame of elaborated inlaid woods’.

  • Prayer desk in the church is the gift of John’s daughter Helen (Nell) in 1906, in memory of her father.

  • Bishop Churchill Julius took his funeral at St Paul’s where a muffled peal of the bells was rung in his honour.


  • John Thomas (Jack) Matson (1865-1892)
  • Son of John Thomas Matson and Marion Thomas Matson.

  • Married Louise and had three children, one died aged 10 weeks before his father. A daughter, Janet, (1888-1907) died in Nelson in 1907, aged 19.

  • Known as the ‘life and soul of the social circle of Papanui’.

  • Died of typhoid at age 27. Six hundred people attended his funeral.


  • 22. Charles Turrell (1828-1906) Priest and Teacher
  • Ordained in England in 1863 and then came to NZ., aged 35.

  • Married Charlotte (1837-1900)

  • Was a teacher of Sir Robert Heaton Rhodes at Midmont School in Riccarton, which he owned, and of which he was Principal.


  • 23. Thomas Searell (1811-1891) Businessman and Landowner
  • Arrived in Canterbury in 1865, aged 54, with wife Harriet Pullman Trist (1822-1917) and eight children (one in utero). The two youngest children, Georgina and Ethel, died soon after arrival.

  • Harriet started to teach each of her children music, from the age of four. She changed her hymnbook words to ‘For us in peril on the sea.’

  • Settled on 8 acres north of Normans Road, which they bought at an auction held by Henry Matson. Searell’s Road was named from them.

  • Thomas and Harriet were the parents of Richard Trist Searell, an organist for Durham St Methodist ; Ernest, an organist at St Mary’s Merivale; William, a friend of Cecil Rhodes, and wrote the Rhodesian National Anthem; Arthur, organist at Cust Anglican and Presbyterian churches; Edith, organist at Cust Anglican church who signed the women’s suffrage petition in 1893, and was murdered during the Boxer Rebellion in China, while doing missionary work there; Harriet, organist at Cust Anglican church. It appears that their only child who didn’t become an organist somewhere was Thomas.


  • 24. Caleb Whitefoord (1839-1891) Magistrate.
  • Arrived in Canterbury in 1866, aged 27, a descendant of Scottish Baronets.

  • Settled near Kaiapoi on his dairy farm ‘Waverley’.

  • Married Rebekah Willis who died in 1910.

  • Was a churchwarden and layreader at St Bartholomew’s, Kaiapoi.

  • Friend of John Beatty Gresson, who is also buried here.

  • Bishop Harper took his funeral.


  • 25. Harry Stocker (1840-1922) Priest.
  • Arrived in Canterbury in 1874, age 34, having been ordained in 1869.

  • As a child, Harry had the honour of carrying a cricket bat out onto the field for the famous cricketer, Dr. W.G. Grace. Cricket remained a passion all his life.

  • Preached his first sermon in NZ at St Paul’s.

  • Married Elizabeth Fey, of Hugenot descent.

  • While he was Vicar of Akaroa, as ‘a man who wished to co-operate with those of different views’, he got his parishioners to assist the Roman Catholics in the restoration of the historic French Settlers’ Cemetery.

  • Vicar of Invercargill, Archdeacon of Southland.

  • Started the ‘Patients and Prisoners’ Aid Society in Invercargill.

  • Retired to St Mary’s, Merivale.


  • 26. Charles Coates (1847-1925) Priest.
  • Arrived in Canterbury c. 1875, aged 28.

  • He had been present at the last public hanging in London.

  • Was ordained in 1876.

  • Bishop Harper married him to Harriette Louisa Brittan (1850-1934_, daughter of W.G. Brittan sen., at St Michael’s in 1881. The witnesses were impressive: the ex-Superintendent William Rolleston, and the bride’s brothers, W.G.Brittan jnr., and Rev’d. F.G. Brittan Vicar of Papanui.

  • Vicar of Waimate and Lyttelton, and Canon of Christchurch Cathedral.


  • 27. Henry Forwood (1850-1925) Farmer, Authority on birds.
  • Arrived in Canterbury in 1879, aged 29.

  • Married Susannah (1863-1931) in 1880 at St Mary’s Merivale.

  • Settled at ‘Oak Hill Lodge’7 Murray Place, Merivale.

  • A ‘high churchman’, profoundly devoted to the catholic conception of the church. Publisher of ‘The Layman’ - the most ambitious attempt in Anglican journalism in our history.

  • Parishioner and benefactor of St Matthew’s, St Albans.


  • 28. Carl Augustus Frederick Lange (1842-1919) Farmer.
  • Arrived c.1880 with wife Wilhelmena Dorothea (1848-1926) age 30ish.

  • German tenant farmers at Rhodes Swamp (Marshland).

  • Became known as Charles.

  • Had 12 children, 11 boys and one girl. One of the boys died in the 1970’s over a hundred years old.

  • Langes Road, near Hills Road is named for this family.


  • 29. Sir Joseph James Kinsey (1852-1936) Businessman.
  • Arrived in Canterbury in 1880.

  • Married wife, Sarah Ann (c.1856-1941)

  • Had a grand home in Papanui, ‘Warimoo’.

  • Also had a Hurst Seagar designed weekend home on Clifton Hill overlooking Sumner.

  • A teacher of Sir Ernest Shackleton.

  • The Scott Expedition party stayed with the Kinsey’s before the y went to Antarctica.

  • Mark Twain was another distinguished house guest during his trip to New Zealand.

  • Sponsor of music and the arts.

  • Knighted for his services to South Pole exploration.


  • 30. Thomas Jasper Smyth (1839-1932) Priest.
  • Arrived in Canterbury in 1881, aged 42.

  • Married Emma (1844-1928) in Australia and had four children.

  • Had been ordained in Dublin in 1863, and emigrated to Australia, where he spent ten years.

  • Vicar of Akaroa, Lincoln & the Chatham Islands - visiting in his yacht.

  • At the time of his death (aged 93), he probably had more years of service to his credit (69 years) than any other Anglican clergyman in the world. He is about to be overtaken by at least one other: In 2008, Archdeacon Reg Williams, former Vicar of St Paul’s Papanui, turns 94, having been in ordained ministry for 68 years.


  • 31. David Ernest Hansen (c.1884-1972)
  • Probably a great great grandson of Captain Hansen of the ship Active, whose family settled in the Bay of Islands after bringing the first three missionary families to set up the mission there in 1814.

  • Auckland educated, he was the first New Zealander to qualify as a selected student for a free passage to Europe.

  • He returned to NZ in 1911, married Margaret Emma (1884-1976). One son, Douglas William Heywood Hansen (1919-1934) is buried with them.

  • Became Vice President of the NZ Football Assn. and Vice President of the NZ Bible in School League.


  • 32. Thomas Wrench Naylor Beckett. (1838-1906) Orchardist.
  • Arrived in Canterbury 1884 aged 46.

  • Married Sarah (1838-1906), and had 3 children.

  • Churchwarden at St Barnabas, Fendalton.

  • World renowned botanist.


  • 33. George Dent (1870-1935) Priest.
  • Arrived in NZ c.1889, when he was ordained.

  • Was the son of Joseph Malaby Dent, who owned the publishing house in England noted for its ‘Everyman’s’ reprints of English language classics.

  • Served in Auckland, Waitara, Greytown & Palmerston North b4 ChCh.

  • Curate at St. Luke’s, under Reverend Frederick Norman Taylor, and later chaplain to St. George’s Hospital in 1932.

  • Married first wife Annie Pearn (1878-1922) in 1901. They had 4 chn.

  • Married 2nd wife, Annie Roose, who arranged for his magnificent gravestone at St Paul’s.

  • His grandson, Julian Dent, is one of our cemetery volunteers.


  • 34. William Tonks (1858-1912) Banker for BNZ.
  • Son of a Mayor of Auckland. Married Emily (1865-1948)

  • Settled in Leinster Road.


  • 35. John Hazlitt Upham (1867-1951) Solicitor.
  • Arrived in Canterbury c.1897

  • Married Agatha Mary Coates (1884-1975), daughter of Reverend Charles Coates (Vicar of Lyttelton) and Harriette Louisa Coates (neé Brittan) at Holy Trinity, Lyttelton, in 1904. She, aged 20, being 17 years younger than him, aged 37. They had 4 children, one of whom was Captain Charles Hazlitt Upham V.C. and Bar.

  • Settled in Gloucester Street.

  • Churchwarden at St Michael’s for many years.


  • Captain Charles Hazlitt Upham (1908-1994) V.C. and Bar. Farmer.
  • Educated at Waihi School, Christ’s College and Lincoln College.

  • Went to Crete in 2nd NZ Expeditionary Force where we won his first Victoria Cross for valour.

  • Won 2nd V.C. a year later on Ruwaisat Ridge.

  • Prisoner of War for three years.

  • Married his fiancée, Mary Eileen (Molly, 1912-2000) in 1945.

  • Settled on Conway Flat, North Canterbury. Charles became member of the Parnassus Rabbit Board and the Conway Flat School Committee.

  • His father, mother, wife and baby granddaughter are all buried here.


  • 36. James Cooke (1862- 1918) Doctor.
  • Extremely popular Lincoln Doctor.

  • Married E.A. Cooke (1864-1932), had two sons and two daughters.


  • 37. Arthur Silverthorne Henderson. B.N.Z. Bank Manager. (1872-1939)
  • Married Annie S. Henderson (1882-1972)

  • Parishioners at St Paul’s.

  • Had nine children.

  • Arrived in Canterbury from other parts of NZ, about 1930.

  • Parents of Jean Graham Henderson (1912-1981) who was a Deaconess and Priest, and Donald Palgrave Henderson (1914-2007), who was a churchwarden at St Paul’s for many years.

  • Donald’s daughter, Elizabeth Aldous, is a St Paul’s parishioner, keeper of our cemetery archives, and cemetery gardening volunteer.



  • Some other families, with members buried in our churchyard, who gave their names to local places:
    38. Harris - Harris Crescent
    39. Richards - Richards Avenue
    40. Tisch - Tisch Place
    41. Daniel - Daniels Road
    42. Preston - Prestons Road
    43. Philpott - Philpotts Road
    44. Spencer - Spencerville, Spencer Park
    45. Claridge - Claridges Road
    46. Vague - Vagues Road
    47. Halliwell - Halliwell Avenue
    48. Horner - Horner Street
    49. Greer - Greers Road
    50. Langdon - Langdons Road
    51. Sail - Sails Street
    52. Veitch - Veitch Road
    53. Sisson - Sissons Road (overtaken by Northlands Countdown)

    Then there are all the famous people who were baptized and/or married here.
    Like Lord Ernest Rutherford, who married Georgina Newton here in 1900.
    A number of Georgina’s family are buried in our cemetery.
    But that’s another story . . .