Beat the Heat - Extreme Heat Safety Tips
HOT WEATHER TIPS:
- Drink lots of water and natural juices; avoid alcoholic beverages, coffee and sodas.
- Avoid going outside in the blazing heat.
- If you don’t have air conditioning, keep shades drawn and blinds closed, but windows slightly open.
- Keep electric lights o or turned down.
- Minimize use of your oven and stove.
- Wear loose, light, cotton clothing.
- Take cool baths and showers.
- Don’t leave anyone (including pets) in a parked car, even for a few minutes.
CALL 311 TO:
- Locate a Cooling Center near you.
- Request a well-being check for someone who may be suffering from the heat.
- Register for the City’s Extreme Weather Notification System.
For more extreme heat safety tips please read the following CDPH Health Info Fact Sheets:
Stay connected with us:
LinkedIN: Chicago Department of Public Health