Changes to the National Register of Historic Places in Minnesota, 2003-2010
The following is an update for "The National Register of Historic Places in Minnesota: A Guide" compiled by Mary Ann Nord (St. Paul: MHS Press, 2003). Order: http://shop.mnhs.org/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=230
The National Register of Historic Places
January 1, 2003 – December 31, 2010
Detroit Lakes City Park (5/30/08) Washington Ave. and North Shore Dr., Detroit Lakes
Thirty-nine acre park established in 1897 and improved in 1935-1937 by WPA; vital part of community recreational and social life and summer tourism industry.
BIG STONE COUNTY
Graceville Historical Marker (12/15/04) Minn. Hwy. 28, Graceville
Rustic-style wayside rest designed by landscape architect Arthur R. Nichols, built in 1940-41 for state highway department by WPA workers.
St. Pauli Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church (8/26/10) 33022 U.S. Hwy. 75, Almond Twp.
Gothic-style frame church built in 1896 to serve as religious and cultural center for Norwegian congregation.
BLUE EARTH COUNTY
Dodd Ford Bridge (12/09/09) Co. Rd. 147 over Blue Earth River, Shelby Twp.
Steel Pratt through-truss built in 1901, designed by Lawrence Henry Johnson, provided farm-to-market connection.
Mapleton Public Library (12/18/09) 104 1st Ave. N.E., Mapleton
Classical Revival brick library designed by Claude and Starck, and built in 1910, represents public library movement supported by Andrew Carnegie philanthropy.
New Ulm Commercial Historic District (12/21/05) Minnesota St. between 1st South and 3rd North Sts., New Ulm
Concentration of brick commercial buildings (1860s-1953), many by noted local architects in Minnesota River town.
Henry C. Oldenburg House (12/27/06) 604 Chestnut St., Carlton
Classical Revival brick home built by Emil Newquist in 1894 for community leader active in law, politics and state park development.
Chaska Historical Marker (7/6/10) Co. Hwy 10 and Edgehill Road, Chaska
Rustic-style wayside rest commemorating near-by trading post designed by landscape architect Arthur R. Nichols, built in 1938 by state highway department.
Conservation Building (1/15/03) 205 Minnesota Ave., Walker
Craftsman clapboard and shingle wildlife museum and civic building designed by Donald J.C. Parsons, built in 1934-36 by the SERA and WPA.
Cascade River Wayside (8/4/03) 3481 Minn. Hwy. 61, unorganized territory, (Cascade River State Park)
Rustic-style wayside rest and recreation area designed by landscape architect Arthur R. Nichols and the NPS and built in 1934-36 for state highway department by CCC workers.
Chik Wauk Lodge (6/27/07) 38 Moose Pond Road, unorganized territory, (Superior National Forest)
Rough-cut stone lodge built in 1933 by Edwin and Art Nunstedt for Gun Flint Trail resort on Saganaga Lake.
CROW WING COUNTY
A. L. Cole Memorial Building (5/26/04) 4285 Tower Sq., Pequot Lakes
Multipurpose municipal building designed by Philip C. Bettenburg, built in 1937 by the WPA and named
for early city merchant.
Franklin Junior High School (6/04/09) 1001 Kingwood St., Brainerd
Reinforced concrete and brick building arranged on an L-plan with canted main entry built in 1932 with additions in 1954 and 1962; first section designed by Croft and Boerner.
Ironton City Hall (6/14/02) 309 3rd St., Ironton
Brick and stucco municipal building built in 1917 to house city council, jail, fire station, library and auditorium for community events.
Christiania Lutheran Free Church (5/28/10) 26690 Highview Ave., Eureka Twp.
Gothic Revival frame church built by Hans Berg Larsen in 1878; sole remaining church representing substantial religious discord experienced by multiple Norwegian Lutheran churches in Christiania settlement.
Holz Family Farmstead (5/24/07) 4665 Manor Dr., Eagan
Barn, house and out buildings representing two-generations of family-run dairy, crop and vegetable farm, established in 1893.
St. Stefan’s Romanian Orthodox Church (5/19/04) 350 5th Ave. N., South St. Paul
Stucco church with large central interior space covered by a dome and built in 1924 by John Bartl for Romanian immigrants who worked in meatpacking industry.
Waterford Bridge (8/26/10), Canada Ave. over Cannon River, Waterford Twp.
Steel Camelback through truss designed by Dakota County engineer, Charles Forbes, built by Hennepin Bridge Co. in 1909.
Kasson Public School (12/06/07) 101 3rd Ave. N.W., Kasson
Classical Revival and Craftsman-style brick and terra-cotta school designed by Nels Jacobson and built in 1918; provided K-12 instruction and sponsored community events, activities, and social services.
Milwaukee Elevator (5/31/06) Fillmore St. and Root River State Tr., Preston
Wooden country elevator with 15,000 bushel capacity constructed in 1902 by L. O. Hickok for Loomis and Company, a major Minneapolis grain buyer.
Preston Overlook (8/4/03) on Minn. Hwy. 52, Preston
Rustic-style overlook for motoring public designed by landscape architect Arthur R. Nichols and built in 1937-38 for state highway department by National Reemployment Service workers.
Carleton Airport (7/21/04) 1235 Minn. Hwy. 19, Stanton Twp.
Airfield developed in 1942 by Carleton College to provide students with flight training in preparation for military enlistment.
Calhoun Beach Club (12/23/03) 2730 W. Lake St., Minneapolis
Georgian Revival hotel designed by Charles W. Nicol and conceived as apartment hotel/social club, built in 1927-29 and completed in 1946.
Cedar Square West (12/28/10) 1600 South 6th St., Minneapolis
A fifteen-building, multi-family housing complex designed by Ralph Rapson for a 1974 urban redevelopment project.
Chicago Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad Grade Separation (6/1/05) Corridor parallel to 29th St. between Humboldt Ave. S. and 20th Ave. S., Minneapolis
Depressed trench designed by engineer, H.C. Lothholz, built in 1912-1916 to eliminate railroad grade crossings.
Eitel Hospital (12/26/07) 1367 Willow St., Minneapolis
Privately owned and operated hospital designed by Lowell A. Lamoreaux, built in 1911 by Dr. George and Jeannette Eitel.
Farmers and Mechanics Savings Bank (3/2/06) 88 S. 6th St., Minneapolis
1942 Moderne-style main banking hall and flanking 1963 International-style office tower designed by Dale McEnary and Edwin Krafft for mutual savings bank.
First National Bank-Soo Line Building (5/12/08) 101 S. 5th St., Minneapolis
Italian Renaissance-style corporate office building designed by Robert Gibson, built in 1914-1915.
Hagel Family Farm (12/27/06) 11475 Tilton Tr. S. Hassan Twp.
120-acre family-operated, diversified farm established in mid 19th century.
Lock and Dam No. 2 (6/13/03) Mississippi River north of Lake St./Marshall Ave., Minneapolis (also in Ramsey County)
Concrete remains of lock, dam and lockmaster’s house built at Meeker Island between 1899-1908 by Corps of Engineers to make upper Mississippi River navigable to St. Anthony Falls.
Minneapolis Fire Department Repair Shop (5/19/05) 24 University Ave. N.E. and 222 1st Ave. N.E., Minneapolis
Maintenance shop designed by Downs and Eads, built in 1910 with 1922 addition to repair and convert fire fighting equipment from horse-drawn to motorized vehicles.
Frieda and Henry J. Neils House (5/26/04) 2801 Burnham Blvd., Minneapolis
Post World War II Usonian house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, built in 1950.
Pence Automobile Company Building (12/27/07) 800 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis
Eight story brick and terra-cotta building designed by Long and Long built in 1909 on city’s “automobile row” for Harry Pence’s Buick distributorship.
Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity House (9/15/05) 1129 University Ave. S.E., Minneapolis
Craftsman/Art Nouveau-style chapter house designed by Carl B. Stravs, built in 1912.
Sears, Roebuck and Company Mail-Order Warehouse and Retail Store, (7/29/05) 2929 Chicago
Ave. S., Minneapolis
Moderne-style mail order/shopping complex designed by George Nimmons and Company, built in 1927-1928 for major American retailer.
Station 13 Minneapolis Fire Department (MFD) (12/23/03) 4201 Cedar Ave. S., Minneapolis
Craftsman fire station designed by Collins and Kennison, built in 1923 to improve fire-fighting facilities in south Minneapolis.
United States Post Office (04/01/10) 212 3rd Ave. S., Minneapolis
Classical Revival granite building designed by James Knox Taylor, built in 1915; converted to federal office building in 1936.
Willmar Tribune Building (5/15/07) 311 4th St. S.W., Willmar
Commercial building designed by William Alban built in 1920 to house offices for editor, Victor Lawson, newspaper staff, and printing press for regional newspaper.
Alexander Baker School and E.W. Backus Junior High School (5/26/04) 900 5th St.,
Classical Revival and Art Deco-style brick-and-stone schools built in 1914 and 1937, designed by Bell, Tyrie and Chapman and Nairne Fisher; PWA-built school auditorium provided community performance and recreational facility.
Benjamin Noble Shipwreck (9/20/07) vicinity of Knife River, Lake Superior
Single-decked, steel bulk freight steamer built to carry pulpwood; launched in 1909 and lost in 1914.
Isabella Ranger Station (2/1/06) 9420 Minn. Hwy. 1, Stony River Twp., (Superior National Forest)
Rustic-style log residences and outbuildings, built in 1934-35 by CCC workers for U.S. Forest Service.
LAKE OF THE WOODS COUNTY
Canadian National Railways Depot (8/7/05) 420 N. Main Ave., Baudette
Bungalow/Craftsman-style replacement depot, a primary transportation link built in 1923; also used by U.S. Government to maintain presence at international border.
LE SUEUR COUNTY
Dodd Road (6/12/03) 3.8-mile section that includes a portion of Co. Rds. 136 and 148, Cordova and Kasota Twps. (also in Rice County)
Road privately funded and built by William B. Dodd in 1853 to facilitate trade and travel between Mendota and St. Peter.
United States Post Office, Fairmont (5/12/08) 51-55 Downtown Plaza, Fairmont
Colonial Revival brick post office designed by James Wetmore, built in 1926
Komensky School, (8/20/09) 19981 Major Ave., Hutchinson Twp. (Komensky)
Brick school designed by Paul Magdanz, and built in 1912 to serve predominately Czech farming community.
Pipe Lake Fort (6/26/03) off Co. Rd. 1, Cedar Mills Twp
Remains of a rectangular sod fort with two bastions constructed in 1863 in response to U.S.–Dakota War of 1862.
Our Lady of the Angels Academy (12/28/05) 18801 Riverwood Dr., Little Falls
Brick parochial boarding school built in 1911 and enlarged in 1931 to serve elementary students.
4-H Club Building, Murray County Fairgrounds (12/22/05) off Broadway Ave., Slayton
Octagonal frame building for 4-H exhibits with extension for livestock, built in 1936 by WPA.
George D. Dayton House (12/23/03) 1311 4th Ave., Worthington
Georgian Revival clapboard residence designed by Wallace L. Dow and built in 1890 for businessman-investor Dayton who later moved to Minneapolis and founded Dayton’s Department Store in 1901.
Dr. Donald C. Balfour House (7/21/04) 427 6th Ave. S.W., Rochester
Large bungalow built in 1910 for nationally recognized Mayo Clinic surgeon, partner and medical educator.
OTTER TAIL COUNTY
Craigie Flour Mill Historical Marker (1/16/03) Minn. Hwy. 78 at Balmoral Cr., Otter Tail Twp.
Rustic-style wayside rest near site of 1870 gristmill designed by landscape architect Arthur R. Nichols, built in 1940 for state highway department by NYA workers.
People’s Union Church (8/11/04) 48566 205th Ave., Scambler Twp.
Non-denominational church built in 1915 and administered by women.
Little Falls and Dakota Depot (5/24/06) Depot Ln., Starbuck
Frame combination depot built in 1882 by DeGraff and Company to serve as primary carrier of farm products, consumer goods and tourists.
Commerce Building (7/03/07) 10 E. 4th St., St. Paul
Commercial style building designed by Hermann Kretz, built in 1912 for commercial and civic organizations.
Lock and Dam No. 2 (6/13/03) Mississippi River north of Lake St./Marshall Ave., St. Paul (also in Hennepin County)
Concrete ruins of lock, dam and lockmaster’s house built at Meeker Island between 1899-1908 by Corps of Engineers to make upper Mississippi River navigable to St. Anthony Falls.
Minnesota Building (6/10/09) 46 E. 4th St., St. Paul
Thirteen-story, limestone-faced building designed by Charles Hausler and built in 1929; introduced Art Deco/Modern style to business loop.
O’Donnell Shoe Company Building (8/20/09) 509 Sibley St., St. Paul
Six story brick factory designed by Butler Brothers, and built in 1914 for largest shoe manufacture in St. Paul.
Payne Avenue State Bank (5/15/07) 965 Payne Ave., St. Paul
Beaux Arts full service, neighborhood bank with professional offices and community room designed by William Alban, built in 1923.
Riverside Hangar, (12/27/07) 690 Bayfield St., St. Paul
Complex of two hangars formed with 168’-wide, glue-laminated wood arches and built in 1942 by Unit Structures and Rilco, Inc. for WW II bomber modification center.
St. Paul Municipal Grain Terminal (7/21/04) 266 Old Shepard Rd., St. Paul
Grain storage and transfer terminal elevator built in 1931 to facilitate grain trade on Mississippi River.
Sam S. Shubert Theatre and Shubert Building (7/19/10) 10 E. Exchange St. and 488 N. Wabasha St., St. Paul
Classical Revival two-balcony theater designed by Benjamin Marshall and Charles Fox for Shubert brothers chain with adjoining glazed terra cotta commercial building designed by Charles Buechner and Henry Orth, both built in 1910.
Walnut Grove Creamery Association (7/12/06) 521 Main St., Walnut Grove
Butter processing plant built in 1930 of multi-colored concrete block by Saffert Cement Company.
Dodd Road (6/12/03) 6.8 mile section that includes portions of Circle Lake Tr., Falls Tr., 130th St. W., Garfield Ave., and Groveland Tr., Forest and Erin Twps. (also in Le Sueur County)
Road privately funded and built by William B. Dodd in 1853 to facilitate trade and travel between Mendota and St. Peter.
ST. LOUIS COUNTY
Anna and Mikko Pyhala Farm (6/12/03) 4745 Salo Rd., Embarrass Twp.
Subsistence farm with barns and outbuildings of traditional Finnish log construction, built 1895-1931 by
Duluth Commercial Historic District (5/31/06) Superior and 1st Sts. between 4th Ave. W. and 4th Ave. E., Duluth
Twenty-block area of late-19th–and early-20th–century commercial buildings, many architect designed, in major Lake Superior port city.
Listening Point (12/26/07) 3128 Listening Point Rd., Morse Twp.
Wilderness retreat established in 1956 by Sigurd Olson as place of inspiration and physical expression of conservation ethic.
Robert Wallace Shipwreck (10/14/09) vicinity of Palmers, Duluth Twp., Lake Superior
Steam powered, wooden bulk carrier launched from William H. Radcliffe Shipyard in Cleveland in 1882, lost in 1902 carrying 1,600 tons of ore.
Sacred Heart Cathedral, Cathedral School and Christian Brothers Home (6/26/86 and 5/19/05) 211 and 206 W. 4th St. and 315 N. 2nd Ave. W., Duluth
Late Gothic Revival cathedral (1894-96) designed by Gearhard Tenbusch, Late Gothic Revival/Craftsman-style school (1904) designed by I. Vernon Hill and William T. Bray, and similarly styled home (1907) also designed by Bray to be seat of authority, parochial school and teachers’ residence for Diocese of Duluth.
Stuntz Bay Boathouse Historic District (5/24/07) Northern terminus of Stuntz Bay Rd., Breitung Twp., (Soudan Underground Mine State Park)
A line of “wet” boathouses projecting over the water into Lake Vermilion’s Stuntz Bay, most built during first half of 20th century by Oliver Mining Company miners.
Virginia City Hall (5/26/04) 327 1st St. S., Virginia
Colonial/Georgian Revival brick and stone municipal hall designed by Elwin Berg, built in 1923.
Elkhi Stadium (5/26/04) Main St. and Norfolk Ave., Elk River
Athletic field built in glacial depression in 1922 by community and improved by NYA in 1940.
Boiling Springs (Maka Yusota) (1/16/03) Savage
A traditional cultural property consisting of a pool of bubbling water associated with Dakota spiritual beliefs.
Holmes Street Bridge (7/6/10) Holmes St. over Minnesota River, Shakopee
Steel Warren deck truss with verticals designed by state highway department, built by Widell Co. of Mankato in 1927.
Minnesota State Public School for Dependent and Neglected Children (12/28/2010) Roughly bounded by West Hills Drive, and State and Florence Aves., Owatonna
Major public institution for orphans and dependent children; superintendant played a central role in the development of child welfare policies in the country.
Morris High School (5/25/04) 600 Columbia Ave., Morris
Public school complex built in 1914-15 with 1934 and 1949-50 additions to provide comprehensive academic programs in improved facilities to growing student population.
West Central School of Agriculture and Experiment Station Historic District (1/15/03) 600 E. 4th St., University of Minnesota, Morris
Established in 1910 by university for regional residential agricultural high school and experiment station.
Batcher Opera House Block (8/11/04) 5th St. and 2nd Ave., Staples
Brick performance hall and commercial building, built in 1907 to host theatrical and musical productions and community social gatherings.
Dr. George R. Christie House (12/27/06) 15 1st St. S., Long Prairie
Classical Revival clapboard residence and office, built in 1901 by Charles W. Smith for community physician.
Hewitt Public School (12/27/06) 514 Wisconsin St., Hewitt
Colonial Revival public school designed by C. Howard Parson, built in 1911 to provide K-12 instruction and social services.
Northern Pacific Depot (6/04/08) 1st Ave. N., Staples
Two-story brick depot built in 1910 to accommodate passenger and express services and railway division offices.
Reads Landing Overlook (12/15/04) on Minn. Hwy. 61, Pepin Township
Rustic-style wayside designed by landscape architect Arthur R. Nichols, built in 1939 for state highway department by NYA.
Walnut Street Bridge (1/15/03) West end of Walnut St., Mazeppa
Single-span steel through truss built in 1904 by W.S. Hewitt Company.
Strangers Refuge Lodge Number 74 (IOOF) (7/12/06) 119 S. Broadway Ave., New Richland
Brick meeting hall built in 1902 by Henry A. Paine to house Independent Order of Odd Fellows and other community organizations and events.
Bergstein, Moritz, Shoddy Mill and Warehouse (3/05/08) 6046 Stagecoach Tr. N., Oak Park Heights
Rubble and dressed stone mill and frame warehouse built in ca. 1890 by Germanic Jewish immigrant to gain foothold in Minnesota economy by recycling fabric or shoddy for mattress production.
Log Cabin (12/27/07) 15021 60th St. N., Oak Park Heights
Roadhouse built in 1932 featuring symbolic log-cabin design to attract motorists.
Stillwater Overlook (12/27/07) Lookout Tr. near 63rd St. N., Oak Park Heights
Rustic-style wayside designed to provide views of St. Croix River Valley by landscape architect Arthur R. Nichols, built in 1938 for state highway department by NYA.
Grand Opera House (12/23/09) 502 1st Ave. S., St. James
Brick performance hall with commercial space built in 1892 by John S. Bumby to host live theater and community events.
J. R. Watkins Medical Company (12/04/04) 150 Liberty St., Winona
Nationwide, multi-product, direct sales company designed by George Maher, built 1900-14.
Winona High School and Winona Junior High School (1/2/04) 166 and 218 W. Broadway St., Winona
Classical Revival-style brick-and-stone schools built in 1915-1917 and 1925-1926 and designed by Clarence H. Johnston, Sr. and Croft and Boerner to introduce progressive educational concepts and space for musical and community theater productions.
YELLOW MEDICINE COUNTY
Wood Lake Battlefield Historic District (7/30/10) Co. Rd. 18 and Co. Rd. A-3, Sioux Agency Twp.
Site of final battle of 1862 U.S.- Dakota War, and 1910 monument commemorating casualties.
National Historic Landmarks
Christ Church Lutheran (1/16/2009) 3244 34th Ave. S., Minneapolis, Hennepin County
Rabideau CCC Camp (2/17/06) (Chippewa National Forest), Taylor Twp., Beltrami County
Thematically Related Properties
Upper Mississippi River 9-Foot Navigation Project, 1931-1948 (2004)
Historic Resources of Duluth’s Central Business District, 1872-1933 (2006)
Properties Removed from the National Register
January 1, 2003 - December 31, 2010
Ronneby Charcoal Kiln (demolished, 2002) off 78th St., Ronneby
BLUE EARTH COUNTY
Kennedy Bridge (moved, 2006) Twp. Rd. 167 over Le Sueur River, Mankato Twp.
Mankato Holstein Farm Barn (demolished, 2006) Co. Hwy 5, Lime Twp.
Kalevala Finnish Evangelical National Lutheran Church (moved, 2003) off Minn. Hwy. 73, Kalevala Twp.
Julius Neils House (burned, 2005) 421 3rd St., Cass Lake
Julia Nelson House (demolished, 2004) 219 5th St., Red Wing
LE SUEUR COUNTY
Ottawa Stone Buildings: David Patten House (demolished, 2002) Liberty St., Ottawa Twp. (Ottawa)
Clough Township Hall (moved, 2001) Co. Rd. 206, Clough Twp.
Bridge No. 6422 (demolished, 2001) Minn. Hwy 99 over Washington Ave., St. Peter
Lakeside Pavilion (burned, 2003) S. Lakeshore Dr. and First Ave., S.W., Glenwood
Bridge No. 1811 (demolished, 2004) Co. Hwy. 33 over Kettle River, Kettle River Twp.
Church of St. Patrick (Catholic) (burned, 2002) 7525 Dodd Rd., Shieldsville Twp. (Shieldsville)
ST. LOUIS COUNTY
John Harris Hearding Grammar and High School and John A. Johnson Grammar School (demolished, 2001) 4th Ave. N. and 1st St. W., Aurora
Bridge No. L-3040 (demolished, 2006) Co. Rd. 51 north of Minn. Hwy. 19, Blakely Twp.
Roehl-Lenzmeier House (demolished, 2002) 10th Ave. W., Shakopee
Clinton Falls Mill and Dam (demolished, 2003) off Co. Hwy 9, Clinton Falls Twp. (Clinton Falls)
Kaplan Apartments (demolished, 2005) 115 Rose St., Owatonna
Territorial/State Prison (burned, 2002) on N. Main St., Stillwater
Simpson Methodist Episcopal Church (moved, 2004) 4th and Linn. Sts., Monticello