NCLR Facebook Comments Policy & Guidelines
The freedom of speech is underpinned by the imperative to communicate responsibly and respectfully. In an era where we are daily inundated with millions of pieces of information and opportunities to form opinions, sometimes our emotions get the better of us. Social media platforms have allowed us to communicate with each other and connect in ways that were never thought possible. But, the same platforms that give us so much freedom also offer the kind of anonymity that some use to bully those with whom they disagree.
This Facebook page provides a way for us to share and exchange thoughts, ideas, theories, and other content in a respectful and unifying manner. Our hope is that we can foster a community that provides a space for all NCLR Affiliates, allies, supporters, activists, concerned citizens, and the general public to discuss, analyze, critique, and present solutions related to NCLR’s mission. NCLR’s Facebook page aims to be constructive and seeks to generate solutions-based conversation. We’ll agree to disagree when necessary, but we will always communicate with respect and acknowledge our common humanity.
NCLR expects all of our community participants to maintain a high level of sensitivity, particularly as it relates to race/ethnicity, appearance, gender, sexual orientation, religion, political beliefs, education and socioeconomic status.
Please note: This social media comment policy is subject to amendment or modification at any time to ensure that its continued use is consistent with its intended purpose as a limited forum.
Guidelines for Commenting
Please observe the following guidelines. Those who stray risk the deletion of their comments and/or access to NCLR's Facebook page.
1. Comments that address people using slurs or that negatively reference one’s race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc. are unacceptable and subject to immediate removal.
2. Personal attacks are disruptive to healthy dialogue and will be dealt with accordingly. We want to foster an environment in which people can discuss issues pertinent to their communities. At times, there will be a need to agree to disagree, but we ask that you remain respectful at all times and NEVER attack an individual.
3. Violent threats or suggested violence will result in immediate removal from the group.
4. Many comment threads are infested with trolls, people who post comments specifically to start a fight, defame, divide, distract, or otherwise detract from the overall function of the community. In instances of trolling, we ask that the community refrain from responding. Trolls will be subject to immediate removal from our Facebook community.
5. We discourage long, point-by-point arguments. These types of conversations tend to alienate the rest of the community and often stray from the initial purpose of the disagreement. You should keep in mind that you can always communicate with other Facebook users privately.
6. Stereotypes are often divisive and offensive, and any such comment will be monitored closely. We encourage intelligent, enlightened conversation and careful articulation of one’s thoughts before posting. Again, sensitivity is paramount.
7. Avoid minimizing or denying the importance of comments/posts from others. We all have our individual priorities and beliefs; please respect this and act accordingly. Disagreement can take place without making others feel that their stance is less than important. Instances of minimizing will result first in a warning, and subsequent occurrences will subject the user to removal from the community.
8. If most or all of your comments are repetitive and off topic, we reserve the right to remove you from the community. Comments that are blatantly off topic or repeated will be deleted. We will be strictly monitoring those who “hijack” the forum to advance their own agenda; such users are subject to removal from the community. We always encourage thought-provoking posts. Please read and reflect on the post or comment before offering your commentary. Repeated transgressions will result in removal from the community.
9. Disagreement with comments is natural and encouraged. However, if you take offense to a comment, please address the commenter clearly and respectfully.
10. Please do not use the comments section to air complaints, whether about a post, a particular comment, or the moderation of our page. Please address all such concerns to email@example.com.
Again, we are a solutions-oriented community and welcome disagreement, but we want to take every opportunity to expand the conversation. Dissent without a proposed solution does no good for any of us.
11. If you have a comment or thought that is unrelated to an existing thread and meets our community guidelines, please begin a discussion on NCLR’s discussion page, or post it on the Facebook page’s wall. Your participation and ideas are the heart of this Facebook community!
12. Do not use this Facebook community for self-promotion. There are exceptions where posts might simultaneously advance the conversation while also promoting. The assessment of such instances is left to the page moderator.
13. Last but not least, we want to remind you that this is YOUR community. We welcome your participation and contributions to all threads. We ask that you do your part to adhere to the guidelines we’ve set and encourage others to do the same. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or concerns.