Artisan Breads at Home: Cinnamon Rolls & Sticky Buns
This recipe for sweet dough creates a basic ideal for golden cinnamon rolls as well as for sinfully gooey sticky buns. Either is delicious when scattered with pecans before baking. Warm and glazed, a sweet roll made from this dough is perfect any day for a breakfast or dessert treat with a cup of coffee.
Yield: 11–16 rolls
Bulk fermentation: 60 minutes | retard: overnight | rest: 30 minutes | final fermentation: 60–75 minutes | bake: 375°F and 25–30 minutes
3/4 cup + 2 1/2 Tbsp milk, whole, 80°F
1/2 cup eggs
3 Tbsp butter, pliable but not melted
1⁄8 tsp malt syrup
4 cups bread flour
2 tsp yeast, instant dry
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 Tbsp salt
1 cup Pan Smear for Sticky Buns (see recipe below)
2⁄3 cup Pecans for Sticky Buns
1 cup Cinnamon Filling (see recipe below)
Flat Glaze (see recipe below)
1. PUT the milk, eggs, butter and malt in the bowl of a mixer. Combine the flour and yeast and add to the bowl, then add the sugar and salt. Put the bowl on a mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix for 4 minutes on low speed, making sure to scrape down and flip the dough twice. Increase the speed to medium and mix for another 5 minutes to full gluten development, making sure to scrape down and flip the dough. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl large enough for it to double in size and cover with plastic wrap.
2. ALLOW the dough to rest and ferment in a warm place for 60 minutes, until when lightly pressed the dough springs back halfway.
3. PLACE the dough on a lightly floured work surface. Gently flatten the dough and place it in a baking pan lined with lightly floured parchment paper. Cover the dough and place in the refrigerator overnight.
4. THE NEXT DAY, remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the pans.
FOR STICKY BUNS, spread 6 oz of pan smear in an 8-inch baking pan to cover the bottom, and sprinkle with 3 oz of pecans. If you want to use a 10-inch baking pan, spread 9 oz of pan smear and sprinkle with 5 oz of pecans. Lightly oil the sides of the pan.
FOR CINNAMON ROLLS, generously oil the pan on the bottom and sides, then cover the bottom with a piece of parchment paper.
5. PLACE the dough on a lightly floured work surface and use a rolling pin to roll it out into a rectangle 9 by 26 inches. Spread the cinnamon filling on the dough, leaving ½ inch of dough exposed at the long top and bottom edges. Starting at one short end, carefully roll the dough up lengthwise and gently press along the final edge to close the seam of the 26-inch-long roll. Place the seam on the bottom and lightly flour the dough, then, using a chef’s knife, cut the log into ¾-inch slices. Be careful not to saw through the dough; instead, cut straight down, pressing on the knife. Lay the slices flat in the prepared pans (so that the spiral of filling is visible).
FOR STICKY BUNS OR CINNAMON ROLLS USING AN 8-INCH PAN, place 8 buns around the outer edge and 3 in the middle to fill the pan.
FOR STICKY BUNS OR CINNAMON ROLLS USING A 10-INCH PAN, place 11 buns around the outer edge and 5 in the middle to fill the pan. Cover the pan and allow the dough to rest and ferment in a warm place for 60–75 minutes, until when lightly pressed the dough springs back halfway.
6. TWENTY MINUTES before the end of final fermentation, preheat the oven to 400°F.
7. TRANSFER the buns to the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 375°F. Bake for 25–30 minutes, until golden brown.
8. REMOVE the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Using oven mitts, put a large platter on top of the pan and turn it over quickly to remove the sticky buns from the pan. Place on a tray or large plate with parchment paper. Use a spatula to spread the gooey pan smear all over them. Remove the cinnamon rolls from the pan and brush with glaze while they are still hot.
This filling is fitting for almost any coffee cake or enriched bread. It may also be used as a filling for other yeasted pastries.
Yield: 32 oz
1 1/2 cups butter, melted
1 1/4 cups + 3 Tbsp brown sugar
1⁄3 cup pastry flour
1⁄3 cup cinnamon
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp eggs
Vanilla extract dash
1. PUT the melted butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix for 2 minutes on low speed, making sure to periodically scrape down the bowl.
2. COMBINE the flour, cinnamon and honey, then add to the bowl of the mixer and continue mixing for 2 minutes on low speed, continuing to scrape down the bowl.
3. COMBINE the eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl, then add to the butter mixture and mix for 2 minutes on low speed, continuing to scrape the bowl periodically.
4. TRANSFER to a container to cool at room temperature for 60 minutes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
PAN SMEAR FOR STICKY BUNS
Yield: 2 lbs
3/4 cup butter, soft
1 2⁄3 cups brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup bread flour, sifted
CREAM the butter and brown sugar in a mixer with a paddle attachment until light in color and texture, making sure to scrape down the bowl and paddle periodically during the mixing. Add the corn syrup and vanilla and continue mixing, making sure to scrape down the bowl and paddle during the mixing. Add the salt and flour and continue to mix, scraping down the bowl and paddle after the addition. When all ingredients are well combined, put the mixture in a covered container and refrigerate until ready to use.
Yield: 11 ounces
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1⁄3 cup milk
Vanilla extract dash
1 each 0range or lemon zest (optional)
COMBINE all of the ingredients in a bowl using a wire whisk. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Stir before applying.