"There's Light at the End of the Funnel!"
The Rebuild Tuscaloosa Task Force recently visited Greensburg, Kansas to learn from them on how we can start "Rebuilding It Better". On May 4, 2007 an EF5 tornado hit Greensburg, destroying at least 90% of the community. Check out this link to see aerial photos of the town before and after the tornado. - http://www.nebraskaweatherphotos.org/Greensburg-Kansas-before-after-tornado.html
Although the town of Greensburg was completely devastated, they were determined to look upon this catastrophe as an opportunity to build things they had never built before! BNIM Architects have been an instrumental part of their rebuilding process & they will be the same group that Tuscaloosa utilizes to consult us through this process. (This has not been officially communicated.) http://www.bnim.com/news/bnim-architects-leads-greensburg-kansas-rebuilding-effort-and-sustainability-projects-revitaliz
The RT Task Force gave a presentation on what they learned from the city of Greensburg and plans to have a strong relationship with them in order to make sure we come back stronger, better, and safer. The presentation highlighted examples of how we can use energy efficent construction methods to create more functional & sustainable landscapes for Tuscaloosa. The small town of Greenburg has made a big difference in how community's rebuild after disasters, as they have been pioneers of strategies that create environmental and economic win-win solutions. The rebuilding process for the City of Tuscaloosa will also set a standard for recovery efforts and will be a platform for other towns to use so that we can all respond to disaster more efficiently and come back better than before!
Advice from Greensburg:
- "Take care of yourself & take care of each other."
- Define your vision.
- "Don't think outside the box - BLOW UP the box!"
- Utilize marketing/publications
- Document everything - It will be important later!
- Make sure you have a Repeat Message.
- Provide Hope
- Celebrate Successes - Share the stories of every house, building, and business that comes back!
- Must be willing to invest locally.
- Consider future operational cost of all projects.
- More could be accomplished if no one is getting credit.
- Slow down & get it right!
- UNITY - STAY POSITIVE & WORK TOGETHER!
If you want to learn more about Greenburg's comeback then visit - http://www.greensburgks.org/