Thirty Days of Suzi - Meet Ensemble Cast Member of Ordinary Days at Serenbe Playhouse Brian Clowdus
Thirty Days of Suzi Questionnaire
1) How did you get your start in the theatre?
I know it's such a cliché, but I got my start singing in church. My granny played the piano and I toured the Methodist revival circuit in my little suit singing my heart out.
2) What is the first show you ever saw on stage?
The national tour of Annie in Birmingham, Alabama. It was at that point I knew someday I would play Miss Hannigan...still waiting!
3) How did you learn of you Suzi Nomination?
I was at the nomination announcement, such an exciting event!
4) What are you most proud of regarding your work in your nominated show?
This nomination for me is a celebration of what Serenbe Playhouse has accomplished in the past 2 years. This production in particular is very special. It opened our second season and we also had the fortune of having the creator Adam Gwon down. The rest of the cast: Christy Baggett, Laura Floyd and Dustin Lewis are very close to my heart and we had such a special bond with this production. Justin Anderson, Will Shuler, Danielle Wright, our Interns and our Designers share this nomination with us and we would not have the recognition without the FULL team... It really was an incredible experience.
5) Who might you forget to mention in your acceptance speech should you win and why? It seems like people always forget the most important people in their lives in these kinds of speeches... for me that is my family: My Mother, Granny, Sister, Sister-in-Law and my beautiful niece and nephews, Viv, Dash and Shep... They are my biggest fans and the main reason I moved back to the Southeast... being near them is my greatest joy!
6) What is your most memorable onstage/backstage mishap?
There were so many during this show! I shared most of my backstage time with Laura Floyd, as my opposite, and we were constantly cracking each other up. On one particularly hot evening as Laura was complaining about what the humidity was doing to her hair, I couldn't help but agree and say, "Honey, it looks like wet cotton candy." We still laugh about it! I also have to mention the evening that I fell into the water fountain and the night that Laura accidentally murdered a frog on stage... E-mail me for full stories :)
7) Do you have a pre-show ritual or superstition you follow?
QUICK vocal warm-up and a swig of whiskey... nothing clears the chords like it! If it's good enough for Patti Lupone, it's good enough for me!
8) What is your favorite play or musical?
Cabaret: it is the perfect show. I have played the Emcee 3 times and could play it 30 more times and still love it to pieces... That show hits every emotion and reminds me why I do what I do. I can't wait to produce it one day!
JOIN The Suzi Bass Awards
PURCHASE Tickets to The Suzi Bass Awards