This Art Deco building was constructed as part of the Fort Pitt Brewery in Sharpsburg after Prohibition ended in 1933.
The limestone facade is likely to have come from the same quarrying region in southern Indiana that produced the stone for the Cathedral of Learning, the Mellon Institute and the Empire State Building. The brewery, whose slogan "Fort Pitt-That's It!" remains on the facade, was established in 1906 and closed in 1957. Photo thanks to Dan Holland. — with Dan Holland, Jesse Belfast and Mark Stroup.