Encyclopedia of MilwaukeeEducation
"In Milwaukee, church goods dealer Frank Gross (1888-1980), active in both St. Vincent de Paul and the Knights, was a stern critic of the anti-clerical regime in Mexico and had an equally passionate love for the Mexican national icon, Our Lady of Guadalupe."
"A large statue of Mary, christened “Our Lady of the Motorists,” was installed in the 1970s."
Vel Phillips's EMKE entry, now with a photograph of her as a young city council member.
"From 1961 forward, Phillips participated in state Capitol sit-ins and local marches for her law, later joined by Father James Groppi. In 1967, their arrests caused national media to call Milwaukee 'the Selma of the North,' one of few major cities without an open housing ordinance, owing to obduracy by Mayor Henry W. Maier. He called her into his office to give her a “hard time” and called for her husband to give her 'a whipping.' In 1968, after passage of a federal open housing law, he finally acceded to her local law."
" In 1673 he embarked on an exploration of the Illinois country with Joliet, recording details about the flora, fauna, and indigenous groups they encountered along the way. "
"The first Jehovah’s Witnesses, at the time known as International Bible Students, arrived in Milwaukee in 1896. Little is known about these early Witnesses or the growth of their movement in Wisconsin. Charles Russell, the leader of the Bible Students and founder of the Watchtower Society, visited Wisconsin as he travelled the country around the turn of the century."
Unexpectedly snowbound today? The EMKE entry on Weather will warm you up. The punchline? “We call it ‘spring.’”
Is there a better way to celebrate 414 Day than some Frozen Custard?
"Local legend offers accounts of Francois Soubrio, the so-called “Hermit of Holy Hill.” Soubrio is said to have been inspired to find the place after reading the journal of Father Jacques Marquette. After identifying the location and experiencing a religious healing at its peak, Soubrio built a small chapel."
"The Milwaukee Friends Meeting, like its counterpart in Madison, arose from the pacifist movements of the 1920s and 1930s. Bolstered by traditional Quaker pacifism, Milwaukee Friends began meeting in homes and borrowed spaces in the early 1940s."
Encyclopedia of Milwaukee presentation today at North Shore Lighthouse, so today we bring you...lighthouses. Please share!
"Prior to hiring a salaried pastor in 1959 or erecting its first building in 1963, the church began to support overseas missionaries. This commitment remains one of Elmbrook’s core priorities; the church currently provides monetary and prayer support for over eighty missionaries and mission organizations."
"It named after the burial site of the founder of the Society of Jesus, St. Ignatius of Loyola. Gesu replaced two previous Jesuit parishes, St. Gall and Holy Name, and served as a touchstone for English-speaking Milwaukee Catholics."
It's the 25th anniversary of the Cryptosporidium outbreak. Here's its history.
"As Christian Science practitioners, the Sawyers founded the Wisconsin Metaphysical Institute, began treating patients, and held religious meetings in their Grand Avenue home and downtown offices. In 1889, the First Church of Christ, Scientist was incorporated in Milwaukee."
In 1923 Beth El Ner Tamid Synagogue, then known as Congregation Beth El, became the first Conservative Jewish congregation to hold services in Milwaukee.""
"The abolition of slavery had a profound effect on the growth of African-American Baptist communities, including those in Milwaukee. The city’s first black Baptist congregation, originally called Mt. Olive (and now Calvary Baptist) was founded in 1895."