Hot spots are a pain for you and your dog. These red, wet patches of skin are intensely irritating and very painful.
What causes them?
Anything that damages the... skin surface can trigger a hot spot. It can be something tiny such as a flea bite or a scratch from a bramble. This tiny wound allows the bacteria that normally live on the skin to gain extra nourishment and reproduce out of control causing damage. The skin becomes inflamed and painful.
Your dog will lick and nibble at the area causing more damage and making the situation worse.
How N O T to Treat a Hot Spot
• Do not apply any other antiseptics to the sore area – No TCP , Dettol, zinc oxide cream (sudocream) or anything else suggested on the internet. These will cause your dog a lot of pain and further damage the skin.
• Do not bandage the area as this will trap the moisture and bacteria and make the situation worse. Covering the area with a loose weave material – a light t shirt or loose sock is ok although bear in mind that your dog may still be able to cause damage by licking the covering and making it damp.
• Because this condition is so irritating for your pet it is sensible to seek veterinary treatment promptly if the area is large or is not responding to first aid treatment.
Click on the image below to continue reading ...
Tick fun facts!
- There are more than 850 different species of ticks.
- Many species of ticks such as the deer tick can start their feeding season in temperatures as low as 35 degrees!
- New England states rank the highest amount of Lyme disease cases in all of the United States.
Bravecto is an oral soft chew which lasts for 3 months. It kills ticks in 12 hours and fleas in just 2 hours. Safe for use in pregnant, nursing, and breeding dogs.
2018 Bravecto rebate specials:
$15 rebate of 2 doses of Bravecto
$30 rebate for 4 doses of Bravecto
In honor of this torrential downpour we are experiencing here are some tips on keeping it out of your house. Have a great weekend! 😄
This stylish kittycat always comes in rocking a new outfit. We would love to see all of your furry friends in their own fancy attire. Share pictures in the comments below!
Dental health is important for both cats and dogs. But cats are definitely not the easiest when it comes to brushing teeth. If you have any concerns or have started to notice bad breath creeping on schedule an appointment with us at Healthy Paws Veterinary Center for an evaluation.