We're wondering if anyone here might have any idea on this. Yesterday, a fellow called the museum because he found this while digging in his yard. He had hit it with a jackhammer before he realized what it was. He lives on Toussaint South Rd. a little north of the fair grounds. This was laying flat underground. It looks like a tombstone but its lack of two dates (birth & death) and a lack of a first name lead us to think it might not be a tombstone. We think the spelling of "...Juli" might be German. Anyone have any ideas?
Juli 21, 1865
As we've mentioned, were more than merely an artifacts museum. We have a great affinity for the historic geology of the Ottawa County region. This animation is intended to illustrate how modern Lake Erie filled after the glaciers had entirely receded from the Lake Erie region.
Once the glaciers which covered this area for about a millin years receded north of the St. Lawrence River, the glacial Lake Lundy in the future Lake Erie basin drained almost completely through the Nia...gara River. All the water that remained in the Erie basin was a small bit in the deepest part of the eastern basin and a series of rivers (some pre and some post glacial) represented here by the blue lines. Those river beds are still out there buried under lake sediment.
At the east end of the Erie basin, as the Earth's crust rebounded upward after being compressed from the weight of the glaciers, it reduced the volume of water flowing out the Niagara River. More water began to flow in from the upper Great Lakes prompted by the same crustal rebound in the north. As a result, modern Lake Erie began to fill.
Being the deepest, Erie's eastern and central basins filled first. This animation begins after that point and illustrates the pattern in which the Sandusky and Western Basins filled. This process began some 10,000 years ago and took about 6000 years to complete. Modern Lake Erie is about 4000 years old.
For those of you who don't know how the interurban railroad passed through Genoa. It came from Toledo on the north side of Rt. 51. It turned south into Genoa on Washington St. It turned east on the north side of Rt. 163. Back at Rt. 51, it turned south to Elmore. This map is 1920.
A circa 1910 photo of the Genoa interurban station. Looking south on Washington St. The building which burned this afternoon was originally the railroad power plant as illustrated on the 1904 map below. In the photo, the building to the north was the office. It's not yet present in the map.
The taller south building was part of the power plant. It was removed by 1920. The present building was reduced to is current size by 1928. The north portion was the ticket office and the south portion was freight storage.
Note too, that the entry ways have all been considerably modified over the years.
This afternoon, Genoa almost lost a historic building when the old interurban railroad station was the victim of arson. It seems the damage was minimal because the building is primarily stone. Let's hope it can be saved.
At the museum, we're trying figure out a bit of a mystery about this photo. This is the Port Clinton shoreline between Washington and Adams Streets circa 1889-1892. At the red arrow is the original PC lighthouse. The green arrow is the newly built second Methodist church. The photo was likely shot from the east pier.
The mystery is what are those things in the water? They look like posts with netting between them (see the bottom image for a close up of one). We doubt they were to catch fish (although, we don't know exactly how fish nets are used) and, with the piers having been completed a decade or more before this photo, we doubt the were to block sand from water flow. Does anyone have any idea what they might be for?
A soldier's long journey home: Kovach's remains to be returned to Port Clinton
The excessive water levels in Port Clinton in recent days prompted this post. With Port Clinton being only a few feet above the level of Lake Erie, floods have long been a part of its history. That is not likely to change any time soon.