- AdvisorAugust 2014 to present EghamRoyal Holloway is one of the UK’s leading research-intensive universities, with 19 academic departments spanning the arts and humanities, sciences, social sciences, management and economics.
As the UK's most international university, they combine world-class research with a global perspective, yet at the same time, their campus has an intimate human scale. This means their students learn from internationally renowned academics and researchers while also being known by name themselves.
I provide expertise on the commercialisation of IP, spin-offs, entrepreneurship, gifts, fundraising and revenue generation.
- Chief Executive/Co-FounderJanuary 2012 to present London, United KingdomEnsygnia (www.ensygnia.com) is the award winning mobile interaction company behind the breakthrough Onescan omni-channel app. Onescan enables mobile payments online, in-store and on-the-go and has applications for log-in, authentication and mobile identity.
In the payments world we enable customers and prospects to go from looking to buying in under 10 seconds.
Ensygnia's patented technology platform and service enables any connected device with a camera to interact and transact with any connected device with a screen. The company raised over $3.5m in its seed funding stages. As well as its investing management team, the company’s investors include Jesus College Cambridge, Rhoddy Swire of Pantheon Ventures, and Telefonica through its Wayra Business Accelerator Academy, 2013 Cohort.
The company's two granted UK patents (GB 2481663 B & GB 2489332 B) for the Onescan process cover both log-in and payment applications, including scanning visual codes like QR. We have filed our patents in 59 countries worldwide.
Recent awards include the GSMA Mobile World Congress where Ensygnia was voted one of the top three innovations likely to have greatest impact on global mobile industry over the next 10 years; Finalist in the Consumer Trust category at the Meffys; a winner in the UK's Smarta 100 Awards for Britian's best and brightest new businesses; a Startup.co.uk Top 20 UK Startup for 2013, UK 2014 Digital Mission to New York and finalist in the SWIFT Innotribe competition.
Most recently Ensygnia won Best Software Solution at the Mobile Industry Awards 2014.
- Board MemberApril 2011 to December 2012 London, United KingdomBoard director of the Young Entrepreneur Society and mentor to the CEO Carly Ward.
YES has a unique programme: The 12 Steps to Success which helps young people learn entrepreneurial and personal development skills. The programme is suitable for young people under 35 and includes interviews with some of the top entrepreneurs in the country - our Millionaire or Expert Mentors. Julie Meyer founder of Ariadne Capital and from BBC2's Dragons' Den, Adam Balon co-founder innocent drinks, Levi Roots Reggae Reggae Sauce and Mike Clare founder of Dreams to name a few.
- Managing directorOctober 2010 to August 2011 London, United KingdomAppointed to the Main Board after three months on the Advisory Board.
As CEO of Swivel Secure, a security company, in under a year he grew revenues from £2m to £2.5m, launching a re-brand, new voice and Cloud solutions.
- Non Exec DirectorOctober 2008 to September 2011 London, United KingdomSAVortex is a cleantech company with revolutionary patents and technology.
My role with SAVortex has been largely consultancy-based with a remit to mentor the company’s CEO (Syed Ahmed who appeared in the 2006 Apprentice show). I have played a key role in the development of the business, from a high-level strategic perspective, and have created a £15m sales pipeline within 12 months.
Vortex one the Guinness World Record for handrying efficiency in 2012 and still holds it.
- Executive directorJuly 2007 to September 2011 Farnborough, HampshireAt Mobix he personally led the development of an innovative and patented authenticated telephony solution for the banking and financial services industry. The solution, Authenticall, was sold to Swivel Secure after just 18 months and saw Richard being named Digital Entrepreneur of the Year for Security Innovation in 2010.