...For treats & coffee and hang out in sitting area!
A note to our fans ...
As you know, for the nearly 13 years River Maiden has been slingin’ coffee we've always served it with a side of pop culture and Vancouver pride.
It all started with Vantucky Strikes Back (a Star Wars reference) over a decade ago. That was the spark that led to several designs celebrating Vancouver: The Couve Abides (a Big Lebowski reference), Vansterdam, Couvies Never Say Die (a Goonies reference), Van Am (a Trans Am reference), VXR, VanWa, Columbia Ci...ty, Fortland (a reference to our Fort), Fortitude (our killer coffee blend), and Nobody Puts River Maiden in a Corner (a Dirty Dancing reference) -- to name a few.
It has come to our attention this Saturday evening from social media that some felt our use of the The Screaming Chicken (the Pontiac Firebird) to announce our new store opening was inspired by a design from a different NW shirt purveyor.
This is not true.
Our announcement using the Firebird (here used more as a Phoenix reference) harkens to our Van Am design we debuted in 2014. That design came about as our local mayor liked to refer to our fair city as America's Vancouver. As we tried to capture that sentiment, a motorcycle commercial for Can Am aired. At that moment ... Van Am was born. How to capture that in an image? The Pontiac Trans Am Firebird.
Sometime later in May 2015, we received an email from a Chris S. who sold t-shirts saying he used The Firebird as well with 'Vancouver' written on a shirt. Until that email, we hadn't heard of him, his t-shirt company, or his Firebird/Vancouver design.
Upon review, it became apparent that his version had come first. We advised him at that time it was inadvertent and we we're both using a logo that actually belonged to GM. He stated "these designs are already pretty derivative of preexisting intellectual properties and therefore are not really either of our properties to haggle over."
At that time, we wished him the best in his future designs and stated it was in neither of our best interests to have similar designs going forward. That's the last we've heard of the matter till tonight. (It should be noted as well that we don't currently sell our Van Am design on any merchandise.)
We hope this clears up any confusion. We would never knowingly use another artist's original design. That just ain't cool.
- River Maiden
Killer in-house pastries this weekend!
• Lemon Poppy Seed Scone
• Marionberry Scone
• Triple Chocolate Chip Cookie...
• Orange Cardamom Rice Treat
• Coconut Key Lime Snickerdoodle
–• February Update •–
Curious about the latest news and developments with the new River Maiden? Read below for all the details!
• Our Pop Up Drive Thru is going strong and OPEN till 2 pm daily. Your continued patronage there provides vital support for our staff and the future of River Maiden. Thank you!...
• The time table to open at our new location (5301 E Mill Plain) has pushed into early March. These delays are typical in a project of this size. Construction is in full swing with much of the infrastructure now completed. Next up is painting and new floors. It’s going to be awesome!
• For those who graciously supported us by purchasing perks in our Indiegogo campaign last fall, your perks will begin when we open. If you’d like your 12 month perk to begin now at the Pop Up, just DM us — we’re happy to initiate that now if you so choose. If by some chance you haven’t received mugs or shirts, please DM us as well.
We’re so grateful and humbled by all your support. We love you all!
The new River Maiden is excited to be a part of the revitalization of the Heights. Check out Vancouver's plan for our great neighborhoods ... https://www.cityofvancouver.us/ced/page/heights-subarea-plan