Sincerely Anne Gallegos
At 4 p.m. on Sunday evening South Metro Firefighters responded to a house fire at 7167 South Spruce Street in Centennial. A small fire in the attic was quickly located and extinguished, no injuries occurred and the cause was electrical in nature.
On Sunday afternoon 9 units from SMFR responded to an automatic aid wildland fire with West Douglas County Fire Protection District. An unknown size fire was reported in the Pike National Forest near Highway 67 and Rampart Range Road. A staging area was established at Highway 67 and Oak Valley Road which certainly turned some heads. The fire was located in a hike-in access area and quickly contained to 5x5 feet. No structures were threatened and no injuries occurred. Brush Engine 39 and Brush 40 assisted with suppression efforts, all other resources including some from Castle Rock and Jackson 105 were released.
Portions of South Metro’s District are included in a Red Flag Warning today. Please be extra cautious during outdoor activities especially if they involve sources of heat, create sparks or open flames.
At 3:50 p.m. on Saturday February 17, 2018, South Metro and Littleton Fire Rescue responded to an apartment fire at 8899 E. Prentice Avenue. First arriving City of Greenwood Village, Colorado Government Police Officers learned that one person was unaccounted for and began searching for them inside the smoke filled apartment on the 3rd floor. Engine 31 advanced an attack hose line; Medic 31 and Tower 32 took over search efforts and were unable to locate anyone inside. The f...ire had been controlled by the sprinkler system and was quickly extinguished by Firefighters. At the same time other fires were reported near Yosemite and Union where police officers took a person into custody. That person was originally reported as unaccounted for at the apartment. Firefighters on Prentice remained on scene for over 2 hours mitigating water damage and clearing smoke. No injuries occurred at the fire scene and the SMFR Fire Marshal’s Office is working with GVPD on the investigation. Approximately 40 personnel from SMFR & LFR responded to the incident.
Today marks the 50th anniversary of America's first 911 call. Technology has changed a lot since 1968 but the mission of helping 911 callers has not. This is video of a 911 call today and the crew of 7 covering ~1,600 square miles of Adams, Arapahoe, Douglas and Jefferson Counties.
Firefighter Todd Hennessy’s ride in Engine 44 yesterday afternoon was something that Hollywood movies are made of. It was the first time in 2 months that he sat in the same riding position where he died on the morning of December 11, 2017.
While returning to the firehouse from a medical emergency, Probationary Firefighter Bryan Vogt (who was working his very first shift at SMFR) noticed that something was wrong. Engineer Eric Kapitan safely drove the Engine to a stop at P...eoria and Oswego while Lieutenant Dee Lindsey called on the radio for more help. Vogt, Kapitan and Lindsey pulled Firefighter Hennessy out of the Engine, immediately began CPR and used an AED to restart his heart. It worked remarkably fast. Before the Medic Unit could arrive, Firefighter Hennessy was awake, confused and breathing just fine.
Firefighter Hennessy credits receiving help as quickly as possible to his survival and encourages everyone to learn CPR. The South Metro Safety Foundation can teach you, here is a link to upcoming classes in Parker and Centennial https://southmetrosafetyfoundation.org/ZclassRegistration.c…
We often share the great work SMFR personnel do on a daily basis, sometimes those stories involve loss and sadness. This is a heart warming story that began 2 months ago when Firefighter Hennessy’s heart stopped beating. It happened inside the fire engine, driving down the road and could have ended in tragedy. His fellow firefighters, including one working their very first shift, saved his life. Two of those rescuers are pictured here (Left to right, Probationary Firefighter Vogt, Firefighter Hennessy and Engineer Kapitan). We are so grateful for their lifesaving actions and that Firefighter Hennessy is here today talking about it.
At 10:45 p.m. on Sunday, South Metro and Franktown Fire Protection District Firefighters responded to a house fire on Buckhorn Creek Street in Parker. Engine 46 was first to arrive and quickly extinguished a fire burning under a covered patio. The occupants of the home safely evacuated and no damage to the interior of the house occurred. Approximately 35 fire personnel as well several officers from Parker Police Department responded. A barbecue was left on, heated surrounding combustibles and started the fire.
Last night Wellington Fire experienced a very tragic reminder of how dangerous our highways can be. SMFR dispatches a minimum of 1 Medic Unit & 2 Fire Engines to highway incidents. The second Engine’s role is to help slow traffic & block the scene to keep responders safer.
Tonight, while on the scene of an earlier accident, Wellington Fire Engine 1 was struck from behind by a vehicle going northbound on I-25. All firefighters are ...safe and were uninjured in the crash. Unfortunately, the driver of the vehicle did not survive their injuries.
Roads conditions will continue to deteriorate as the night goes on. We recommend staying home if you do not have to be anywhere tonight. If you must be on the roads, please use extra caution. We would also like to remind everyone to slow down and move over when you see an emergency vehicle on the side of the road with their lights on.
Things are starting to take shape this week at Orchard Road and Quebec Street where the new Fire Station 32 is being constructed. Foundation walls and the elevator shaft on the residential side of the firehouse are now visible. Completion is expected around October of 2018.
Just before 4 p.m. on Wednesday, February 7, 2018, South Metro and Littleton Fire Rescue crews responded to the Sam’s Club at Quebec and C-470 for reported refrigerant leak. The store was evacuated, several people were evaluated by paramedics and no one required medical assistance. SMFR’s Hazardous Materials Unit responded and determined that high levels of Freon inside made the store unsafe for re-entry until the air was cleared out. “Fan 3” is a unique piece of equipment... that SMFR uses to ventilate large enclosed areas and it responded with the crew of Engine 42. Fan 3 forces 750,000 CFM (cubic feet per minute), enough to air to quickly clear out a big box store. By comparison the typical residential ceiling fan moves between 4,000 and 6,000 CFM. Fan 3 doesn’t make many public appearances; it has only been needed at 3 incidents in the past year.
A sight like this one might blow people away and “Fan 3” also blows away harmful vapors like the Freon leak inside Sam’s Club at Quebec and C-470. We don’t use it very often but we have to be prepared for anything. Firefighters are ventilating the building so the store can get back in business.
"It's a harsh reality of what we are dealing with in the fire service right now." SMFR is rolling out new cancer prevention protocols during February and March to help keep our personnel safe.