Walton High SchoolHigh School in DeFuniak Springs, Florida
Congratulations to the nine students from Walton High School who had the opportunity to participate in the first Baptist College of Florida’s 2018 Honor Choir on the campus of The Baptist College of Florida! Exceptional Juniors and Seniors, chosen by their high school Choral Directors from across the area, joined the BCF College Choir to study, rehearse and perform music in a wide range of genres this afternoon at 2:30 p.m. in the R. G. Lee Chapel. Musical pieces included W...illiam Billings, Irving Berlin, Randall Thompson, and Andre Thomas. Thanks to BCF faculty and staff for making it possible. Students participating from Walton County were:
We have a huge treat for you all a week from Tuesday (March 27)!
The WHS Jazz Ensemble will be joining forces with the Dothan HS Jazz Band for a special joint concert at the WHS auditorium! Please help spread the word about this event, so we can pack the house at WHS for a great night of music! March 27 at 6:30pm!!!
The Children's Advocacy Center has partnered with Verizon and the Walton & Okaloosa County Sheriff’s offices to present a free class that addresses smart devices & technology and how to better protect our children. The content is geared for parents and may not be appropriate for children. The class will be held at the Pierce Family Children's Advocacy Center on Monday, March 26, from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Please RSVP online by March 23 at www.eccac.org. For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 850-833-9237, ext. 233.
Amazing job by our Symphonic Band who received Straight Superior Ratings at their Concert Music Performance Assessment at Chipley HS earlier today! The band was... adjudicated by 3 judges for their stage performance and then evaluated on their Sight Reading ability by a separate judge on never before seen music. Great job!
WHS is sponsoring a blood drive on Thursday, March 29, from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. All donors will receive a free OneBlood shirt and a wellness checkup. Students must be 16+ years old and get a parent’s signature to donate. Forms may be picked up from Mrs. Zodrow in room 114 or in the office. Remember to eat a healthy breakfast prior to donating.
DATE: APRIL 14, 2018
TIME: 7:00-11:00pm (*You must enter the door by 9:00 *)
PLACE: The Barn at Water Oaks Farm...
4080 Second Ave.
Laurel Hill, FL 32567
COST: Seniors get in free, but they must sign up for their ticket and pay for their date.
$40 for a single ticket
$60 for a couples ticket
- Prices will increase to $45 for a single and $65 for a couple starting on Monday, March 26. You may purchase tickets during both lunches, or see Mrs. Zodrow to purchase tickets. Please make checks payable to Walton High School. The last day to purchase a ticket is April 10 at 3:00 pm. (Any tickets purchased on the last day must be purchased from Mrs. Hoppe in SSA.)
- DRESS CODE: If you have any concerns about your attire, please see Mrs. Zodrow for approval. WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE ANYONE AT THE DOOR FOR IMPROPER ATTIRE, SO PLEASE ASK BEFORE YOU BUY.
- GUYS: Must be in formal attire – Tuxedo or suit is acceptable. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR NOTIFYING YOUR DATE OF THE DRESS CODE RULES.
- GIRLS: No plunging necklines or excessively high slits. No TWO-PIECE dresses that show your stomach (they must be attached when you come in the door). No dresses with EXCESSIVE cut-outs (meaning we see more skin than fabric). No backless dresses (meaning nothing is holding the dress up). Please make sure that all appropriate areas are covered up.
- You may not bring someone who is in middle school.
- If you are bringing a date that is NOT a Walton High School Student you MUST pick up a form in SSA that defines the requirements for your date. You may also download the form at http://whs.walton.k12.fl.us/…. This form must be completed and returned to the office for screening by WHS Administration and/or WHS School Resource Officer.
- Any senior that has not signed up to be considered for prom royalty needs to sign up by April 4. Juniors and seniors will vote for Prom Royalty when they enter the building.
- Hors d'oeuvres, along with tea, lemonade and water, will be provided during prom.
- There will be a professional photographer to take pictures at prom. Picture information will be passed out to students.
- Prom is a school function; therefore, all school rules apply. This includes the policy referring to NO ALCOHOL. If we suspect the use of alcohol you will not be allowed to enter. If you have any questions concerning these rules, please see Mrs. Zodrow.
- SENIORS: PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SIGN UP FOR YOUR TICKET, BECAUSE WE WILL HAVE A MASTER LIST AT THE DOOR AND YOUR NAME MUST BE ON IT.
This year’s Odyssey of the Mind Regional Tournament was held in Crestview last Saturday. We're excited to announce that Walton High placed 3rd and qualified for the state competition that will be held in Orlando on April 14.
We would like to recognize those that participated: Kaelyn Campbell, Shane Heuvalink, Luke Love, Megan Owen, Juliana Sesay, Brandi Stafford, and Trinity West-Ciappio. We also want to share their performance, which aired on today's Braves TV broadcast...:
Congratulations, and good luck at the state competition!
The senior class picture will be taken tomorrow morning (March 9) at 7:50. Seniors should meet Mrs. Lawson behind the lunchroom wearing their class shirts (or navy shirts).
- Third quarter exams for periods 2, 4, and 6 will be given on Wednesday, March 14. Exams for periods 1, 3, 5 and 7 will be given on Thursday, March 15.
- There will be no school for students on Friday, March 16, as this is a teacher work day.
- Spring break will be March 19-23. School will resume on Monday, March 26.
This past weekend, Walton High's Anchor Club earned 1st place in three categories at the state convention. Their Buddy Walk won Brain Related Disorders; Hometown Heroes won Patriotism; and the goodie basket placed at the Stanley House won Pick-Me-Ups. The club is one of the smallest in their competition division, and they competed against clubs nearly twice their size (from Orlando, Jacksonville, and Miami). We are SO PROUD of our Anchors!
Congratulations on these amazing accomplishments, Braves!
The Walton High School Anchor Club is proud to present the 2018 Miss DeFuniak Springs Pageant on April 7 in the Walton High School Auditorium in DeFuniak Springs. Winners will advance to the National Peanut Festival Pageants and the Miss Northwest Florida Pageant. The pageant will feature competition in the following age groups with the following age requirements:
- Miss DeFuniak Springs - ages 17 to 21 by October 1, 2018
- Little Miss DeFuniak Springs - all first graders
-... Teen Miss DeFuniak Springs - ages 13 to 16
- Junior Miss DeFuniak Springs - ages 10 to 12
- Young Miss DeFuniak Springs - ages 7 to 9
- Future Little Miss DeFuniak Springs - ages 4 to 6
The entry fee for all contestants is $50 with optional photogenic as an additional $10 fee. An early bird special consisting of a $40 entry fee and free photogenic is being offered for those who pay by March 16. Information may be found on our official website at https://whspageants.weebly.com/ or on the Miss DeFuniak Springs Facebook page. You can also contact the pageant directors: David Pert at 850-892-1270, ext. 4496, or Anna Cramer at 850-892-1270, ext. 4424. The deadline for entry is March 27. All proceeds will benefit the Walton High School Anchor Club and their community service projects.
The Miss Walton County Pageant crowned its new queens on February 17. The new queens will spend the year making public appearances and participating in community service events. They will also compete in the Miss and Little Miss National Peanut Festival Pageants and the Miss Northwest Florida Pageant.
We are excited to announce our Students of the Month and Employee of the Month for February!
9th grade - Terra Atlow
10th grade - Amber Law & Avery Ojeda
11th grade - Chrisma Spradlin...
12th grade - Madison Russell
Employee - Holly Harless
Way to go, Braves!