THE VAQUERO: IN TEXAS SINCE 1598
Vaqueros are typically portrayed as rugged, tough men on horseback who work with cattle or other livestock. They have been in e...xistence since the 1500s, when the Spanish began exploration of the future state of Texas. "Vaquero" may be translated as "cowman" and is similar to the word "cowboy" in English. Spanish expeditions brought vaqueros into Texas starting in 1598, when Don Juan de Oñate sent an expedition across the Rio Grande River near present day El Paso. The first mission to have cattle was the San Francisco de los Tejas, led by Alonso De León near the Sabine and Neches rivers. José de Escandón, also known as “Colonizer of the Lower Rio Grande,” established more than 20 additional settlements. The vaqueros or "caballeros" trained many of the early American cowboys by showing them how to roundup loose longhorns, break broncos, throw lariats, and use branding irons.
Source: text adapted from http://ows.edb.utexas.edu/…/tejano-history-curri…/vaqueros-0
DID YOU KNOW THAT THE YSLETA MISSION, ESTABLISHED 1682, IS THE OLDEST CONTINUOUSLY OPERATING PARISH IN TEXAS?
The Ysleta Mission, located in the Ysleta del Sur ...Pueblo within the municipality of El Paso, Texas, is recognized as the oldest continuously operated parish in the State of Texas. The Ysleta community is also recognized as the oldest in Texas and claims to have the oldest continuously cultivated plot of land in the United States.
In 1680, as a result of the Pueblo Revolt, the Tigua (Tiwa) tribe was forced to flee from their ancestral home, Isleta Pueblo, located south of present-day Albuquerque, New Mexico. Some of the pueblo people fled to Hopi territory in Arizona while others followed Spanish colonists as they retreated southward. The Spanish and Comanches eventually settled in El Paso del Norte (present day El Paso, TX) where they established the Ysleta del Sur Pueblo and where the Ysleta Mission was founded. The spelling of Ysleta with a "Y" and the term del Sur (south) was to differentiate the new settlement from the mother pueblo, Isleta. In 1682, the Tigua people built a permanent structure out of adobe and, in October of that year, the building was formally dedicated by Bishop Salpointe of Tucson and named La Misión de Corpus Christi de San Antonio de la Ysleta del Sur in honor of the Tigua's patron saint, Saint Anthony (San Antonio).
Over the next two centuries the mission was relocated several times due to flooding of the Rio Grande. In 1829 one such flood washed away the structure. The flood also resulted in the river cutting a new course further south and the area where the church had been located was no longer considered a part of Mexico but of the Republic of Texas. In 1897 the structure was remodeled and the now familiar gables and bee-hive bell tower were added. A fire in 1907, caused by chemicals stored in the bell tower to repel bats, resulted in massive damage to the building. The church was rebuilt in 1908 and remains much the same today. The church prospered and in 1918 Our Lady of Mount Carmel School was established and it remained open until 2005 when the church closed it. The Texas Historical Commission erected historical markers at the Ysleta Mission in the following years: 1936 – First mission and pueblo in Texas, 1962 – Site of first mission in Texas, and 1970 – Oldest mission in Texas. On July 31, 1972, the Ysleta Mission was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Parade in downtown El Paso of American soldiers and carriage with dignitaries in late 1910 or 1911. The Herald Building is in the background, and the White Hous...e, under construction, sits on the right. A sign in front reads, "El Paso demands the best. Here will be built the finest cloak and suit house in the entire Southwest. The White House/La Casa Blanca"
OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL CHURCH, YSLETA MISSION, CIRCA 1905
The mission was founded in 1682 in order to serve the Tigua people, who had moved from the area of n...orthern New Mexico.This photograph shows the church's adobe tower before its destruction by fire in 1907. Source: http://digital.utsa.edu/…/coll…/p9020coll008/id/6684/rec/154
Scene from Duranguito...
CHIHUAHUA STREET AT SECOND AVENUE (NOW PAISANO DRIVE), LOOKING NORTH, DURANGUITO, CIRCA 1918 AND 2015
Credit: Many thanks to Noel Shockley and "Remember in El P...aso When..." for providing the photos. The first is from the Otis Aultman Collection of the El Paso Public Library, A1230. The second is from Google Earth, with a yellow rectangle added by Noel showing the stretch of street in the Aultman photograph. The El Paso Garage stood on the current site of El Tiradero.
THE CAMINO REAL DE TIERRA ADENTRO, ESTABLISHED IN 1598, WAS THE OLDEST AND LONGEST ROAD IN THE AMERICAS. SEE THE VIDEO!
El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro— the Ro...yal Road of the Interior Lands— is one of the longest, oldest, and most historic trails in the Americas. It was built along Native American footpaths, became a primary transportation corridor for the Spanish colonies, linked the American territory with the new nation of Mexico, and continues to be a thriving international highway of commerce, culture, and people.
El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro National Historic Trail runs more than 400 miles through New Mexico and Texas. From the border at Ciudad Juarez it extends another 1100 miles through Mexico. During the Spanish colonial period it connected Mexico City with the northern frontier capital of Santa Fe and the many mining communities, haciendas, fortresses, and pueblos of New Spain. Native Americans, Spanish conquistadors, soldiers, missionaries, merchants, and settlers have traveled its great length.
SEE THE VIDEO HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBlDmq3Rs88
Credit: Text from http://www.caminorealcarta.org/thetrail/
GRAFFITI STILL APPEARING ON OUR MOST SIGNIFICANT ARCHITECTURAL LANDMARKS (UPDATED AND CORRECTED)
Look at the recent graffiti on Trost’s Popular De...partment Store! We have confirmed that it has been there since at least as early as January 17 but we have only just noticed it. Since that time the City has announced a new inspections regime intended to address this issue and we sincerely hope that they are successful in safeguarding this and our other historic buildings.
This photo is from about a week ago and comes courtesy of Bonnie Juarez. It was forwarded to me by Barbara Given-Behne, a descendant of Adolf Schwartz, who founded the Popular.
John Wesley Hardin often gets the credit for murdering Sheriff Jack Helm. But does he deserve it?