Equine PlanetEquestrian Center in London, United Kingdom
Cuuuuuuuuuute overlooooooaaad 😍
Nope, not done with skijoring yet! A nice start to the adventure...but boy, ST was just a wee bit faster on the last bit!! PHEW!! Good thing Kelly can ski!! Well, it was not really that much speed, nor did it last long...ST does not like to work as hard as running away demands!!
Love this 😊 winter is coming...
With the current wild weather, rugs are starting to appear in the fields.
If you're tempted to rug your horse consider the following recommendatio...ns from the Royal Dick Veterinary School, and be honest with yourself!
- if my horse/pony is obese, unclipped and lives out he/she does not require a rug (use winter to your advantage to allow your horse to safely gradually lose some weight and dramatically reduce his/her laminitis risk for the spring time - laminitis kills)
- horses have a much lower thermoneutral zone (the temperature range where they do not have to expend energy to keep warm) than humans. Horses 5-25 degrees. Humans 20-35 degrees. This means that if you're cold your horse may not be cold!
- horses that are overheated by excessive rugging can suffer heatstroke, colic and stress - this is particularly difficult to avoid at this time of year when temperatures vary
- a survey recently found that peer pressure was the biggest factor in influencing an owners decision to rug their horse
- horses have a caecum which acts as a giant internal combustion engine producing heat - the human equivalent is the appendix which produces no heat
Consider body condition scoring your horse to keep tabs on their condition over winter (see attached) and look at the rough guide to rug weights that may be suitable.
Remember every horse is different and if you would like to discuss your individual horse/pony's management over winter speak to your vet who will be able to help guide you.
Happy Bank Holiday gang 😍
Could be good for us riders too 😊
Here's some midweek hilariousness for you 😃
Pure Lebensfreude Plüschi hatte heute wieder gute Laune
Jukin Media Verified (Original)...
* For licensing / permission to use: Contact - licensing(at)jukinmediadotcom