- Composer/guitarist/rapper/Di.J. Gene Pritsker has written over four hundred compositions, including chamber operas, orchestral and chamber works, electro-acoustic music and songs for hip-hop and rock ensembles. All of his compositions employ an eclectic spectrum of styles and are influenced by his studies of various musical cultures.
He is the founder and leader of Sound Liberation; an eclectic hiphop-chamber-jazz-rock-etc. ensemble who have released cd's on Col-legno and Innova Records. Gene's music has been performed all over the world at various festivals and by many ensembles and performers, including the Adelaide Symphony, MDR Symphony, The Athens Camarata, Brooklyn and Berlin Philharmonic. He has worked closely with Joe Zawinul and has orchestrated major Hollywood movies.
The New York Times described him as "...audacious...multitalented." Joseph Pehrson, writing in The Music Connoisseur, described Pritsker as "dissolv[ing] the artificial boundaries between high brow, low brow, classical, popular musics and elevates the idea that if it's done well it is great music, regardless of the style or genre". Raul d'Gama Rose writes in All About Jazz: "Barring the obvious exceptions, much of 21st century composition appears to be thinning in significance, but this might be about to change. Gene Pritsker is one of a very spare handful of composers effecting this change." Evan Burke writes in ICareIf YouListen: "Pritsker seems to look at all music as one genre, in which all other possible styles, sounds and traditions are meant to be used as building blocks and palette colors, combined in various configurations to create a boundless whole. This result is almost always more interesting, and representative of how most new music will be born in the 21st century, as genres and barriers begin to vanish, and as styles begin cross-fertilizing in previously unimagined ways."
Organizations he is associated with include: Composers' Concordance, Composers' Concordance Records, Absolute Ensemble, The International Street Cannibals and the Austrian Outreach Festival. Gene Pritsker's music is published by: Falls House Press, Gold Branch Music, Periferia Sheet Music & Calabrese Brothers music recordeds on: Col Legno, Enja, Eutrepe, Wergo, Innova , Composers' Concordance Records, and Capstone record labels.
- Release of the chamber opera 'William James's Varieties of Religious Experiences' on Composers Concordance Records.
- 'Cloud Atlas Symphony' premiered by Kristjan Jarvi and the Leipzig MDR Symphony in Nov. 2012 at the Impuls Festival in Halle. . It will be released on Sony records in 2014
- Producing The Composers Concordance Festival. Five concerts in one week. Gene has a composition on each. Including the inaugural performance of
the Composers Concordance Orchestra (CCO). Gene is writing a new violin concerto for Lara St. John and the CC with Tom Bo Conducting.
- Release of the the piano concerto 'Reinventions' on Sony Records with Simone Dinnerstein and the Absolute Ensemble, K. Jarvi, conductor
- Orchestrated and have original music in the movie 'Cloud Atlas' directed by Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski and Lana Wachowski, released world wide on Oct. 26 2012.
- Sound Liberation releases 2 singles from their upcoming album 'DAYS' The singles are 'Need' and 'Breath' featuring Chanda Rule on Vocals.
- Premiere of a new violin concerto 'Incantation' at the Saint Denis Festival in Paris with Miltos Papastamou and The Absolute Ensemble
- Absolute Ensemble in Bremen, Germany at the BremenMusk Fest 2012. Premiere of the chamber orchestra piece '40 Changing Orbits' and a
performance of 'Incantation' for violin and chamber orchestra and of 'Reinventions' for piano and chamber orchestra as well as performances of various
arrangements of Zappa, Zawinul etc.
- 'solo-duo-trio-quartet-quintet, the chamber and electronic Music of Gene Pritsker' released in February 2011 on , Composers' Concordance Records.
-The piano concerto 'Reinventions' recorded for Sony Records with Simone Dinnerstein and the Absolute Ensemble, K. Jarvi, conductor
- Violinist Lara St. John premieres 'Russian Evening Suite'
- Sound Liberation performs at the BremenMusk Fest 2011 a set of Gene's music including the VRE Suite and selections from the hip-hop chamber
- Producing many concerts with Composers' Concordance, and The International Street Cannibals Including The Composers Concordance Festival
- A new ballet: 'The Report' by Henry Daniel for Di.J. (G.P.) and violinist Peter Krysa. performed at The Conference on the Conference in Vancouver,
- Premiere of 'Destined' chamber orchestra and Samplestra by the Absolute ensemble at the 2011 Dresden Music Festival
- Orchestrating and writing music for the motion picture Cloud Atlas. Starring Tom Hanks and Halle Berry
- Release of the album 'Cello Lounge' by Noizepunk & BorisLove on Composers Concordance Records
- Premiering 'Expeditions' for narrator, cello, guitar, piano, brass quintet and Di.J. at the 2011 Outreach Music Festival in Schwaz Austria in August. Also
the Cd release concert for 'Cello Lounge' by Noizepunk & BorisLove
- Release of the chamber opera 'William James' Varieties of Religious Experiences' on Composers Concordance Records
past highlights include
- Violinist Anne Akiko Meyers records Variations on Sakura, Sakura for E1 Entertainment Records.
- Gene was the composer-in-residence at William Paterson University where he had numerous premieres and performances of his music.
- A tour of the piano concerto Reinvention's with The Absolute Ensemble and soloist Simone Dinnerstein. Performances in the U.S., Canada, Germany
- A new violin concerto; 'The Modes' for Miltos Papastamou and Absolute premiered at the Athens Music Festival.
- A performance of 'Essentially Tragic' for solo electric bassoon, chamber orchestra & Samplestra performed by Matthias Kronsteiner and the Tactus -
Ensemble at Manhattan School of Music as part of the inaugural Contemporary Performance Program Concerto Competition.
- The release of the VRE Suite on Innova records, a one hour composition for the quintet portion of Sound Liberation. "4 stars" "unexpected twists and
turns...The result my have you seeing visions...strainsof jazz, contemporary classical music, minimalism, and even hip-hop and and African rhythms " -
John Ephland, Downbeat, Nov. 2010
- The US release of Absolute Zawinul, a CD of Genes orchestrations of the Music of Joe Zawinul as performed by the Absolute Ensemble with Mr.
Zawinul (the last recording he did).
- The song 'No Truth' featured in the motion picture 'The Wedding Brothers'.
- The chamber/hip-hop opera Money was performed at the Etna Festival in Catania, Sicily.
- Sound Liberation released a CD on Col-Legno records called 'Open Up Your Ears and Get Some' "The freedom of sounds, as the name suggests, is
truly implemented in a masterful way" wrote Jazzethic Magazine.
- The launching of Composers Concordance Records, Distributed by Naxos. Gene is a co-director. First release: "Ballets & Solos'. Genes compositions 'A
Challenge to the Dark' for chamber ensemble and 'Dead Souls' for solo guitar are included.
- Absolute Zawinul: Genes orchestrations of the Music of Joe Zawinul as performed by the Absolute Ensemble with Mr. Zawinul (last recording he did).
- No favorite quotes to show