How can I navigate Facebook with keyboard shortcuts?
What are keyboard shortcuts?
Facebook has shortcuts (access keys) for people who only use their keyboards to navigate. If you experience an issue using keyboard shortcuts, please let us know. Keep in mind that keyboard shortcuts can differ by browser (example: Firefox, Internet Explorer).
Key Combinations for Different Browsers
Find the right combination of keys for your browser in the list below, and replace # with the access key number listed under Access Keys below.
- Internet Explorer for PC: Alt + #, then Enter
- Firefox for PC: Shift + Alt + #
- Safari for Mac: Ctrl + Opt + #
- Firefox for Mac: Ctrl + Opt + #
- Chrome for Mac: Ctrl + Opt + #
- Chrome for PC: Alt + #
- 0 - Help
- 1 - Home
- 2 - Timeline
- 3 - Friends
- 4 - Inbox
- 5 – Notifications
- 6 – Settings
- 7 - Activity Log
- 8 - About
- 9 - Terms
News Feed Keyboard Shortcuts
Some common screen readers (example: VoiceOver, JAWS) support Facebook's general keyboard shortcuts.
If you're using JAWS 16.0.2136 or higher, you first need to turn on Allow Web Application Reserved Keystrokes in the JAWS Settings Center or Quick Settings.
To turn on shortcuts for JAWS:
- Use Insert + F2.
- Select Run Settings Center.
- Search for "web app."
- Check the box next to Allow Web Applications Reserved Keystrokes. Make sure that you edit the default file.
If you're using VoiceOver, the keyboard shortcuts will automatically work:
- j and k - Scroll between News Feed stories
- enter/return - See more of the selected story
- p - Post a new status
- l - Like or unlike the selected story
- c - Comment on the selected story
- s - Share the selected story
- o - Open an attachment from the selected story
- / - Search
- q - Search chat contacts
- ? - Open a list of these keyboard shortcuts while in News Feed
How do I report a problem with Facebook and the assistive technology I'm using (ex: screen readers, zoom tools, alternate keyboards)?
How can I use my screen reader to hear the letters and numbers I have to type to complete a captcha?