Add a Profile Picture & Cover Photo
To add a profile picture or change your current profile picture:
- Go to your profile and hover over your profile picture.
- Click Update Profile Picture.
- You can:
- Upload a photo from your computer.
- Take a new photo.
- Select a photo you've already uploaded or one you're tagged in.
- Crop your photo and click Crop and Save. If you don't want to crop your photo, click Skip Cropping in the bottom left, then click Save.
Your current profile picture is always public.
Note: Your profile picture must be at least 180 pixels wide.
The thumbnail version of your profile picture is the smaller version that people see next to your name. If your profile picture isn't a square, you can adjust what part of your profile picture serves as the square thumbnail. To reposition your profile picture:
- Hover over your current profile picture and click Update Profile Picture.
- Click in the top-right corner. If you don't see the , your profile picture already fits into the square shape so you can't reposition it.
- Use the scale at the bottom to zoom in and out, and drag the image to move it around. When you're done, click Save.
To see an album of your past profile or cover photos:
- Go to your profile and click Photos
- Click Albums
- Click Profile Photos or Cover Photos
A cover photo is the larger photo at the top of your profile, above your profile picture. Like your profile picture, cover photos are public, which means anyone visiting your profile will be able to see them.To add or change your cover photo:
- Go to your profile.
- Hover over in the top-left of your current cover photo.
- Click Update Cover Photo. If you don't currently have a cover photo, click Add Cover Photo.
- Choose whether you want to upload a new photo or pick a photo from one of your existing photo albums.
- Once you choose a photo, you can reposition it by clicking the image and dragging it up or down.
- Click Save Changes.
Note: Your cover image has to be at least 720 pixels wide.
Your profile picture is public. When you add or change your profile picture, it appears in a few different places on Facebook:
- A story will be posted on your Timeline and may show up in your friends' News Feeds.
- The photo will appear in your Profile Pictures album.
- A thumbnail version of the photo will appear next to your name in different places throughout Facebook. This helps friends identify your posts and comments on Facebook.
If you add a cover photo to your profile, it will be visible to the public, just like your profile picture. This means that anyone can see your current cover photo.
You can adjust the privacy settings for a photo you've used as a profile picture or cover photo in the past.