Eddie Baquet's son opened "Eddie's at Krauss" in the 1990s. Eddie himself was retired from the restaurant that bore his name, but was happy to lend his brand to his son to bring the Baquet family recipes to the second-floor diner at the department store.
We tell the story of Eddie's at Krauss in the chapter titled "Foundations, Fabrics, and Food."
The "Ain't Dere No More® Sterling Affirmation Bracelet" from Heather Elizabeth Designs New Orleans Jewelry & Accessories is currently out of stock, but one of the charms is the Krauss logo! Drop HE a note and see if you can order it at her "Christmas in July" price (not sure if you can). If not, she's got a bunch of other ADNM stuff, (D. H. Holmes, K&B, and other stores). Check it out!
great stuff here-some ATNM, some still there more
A Closer Walk NOLA - A New Orleans Music Map https://acloserwalknola.com/
can't wait to check this out! - https://twitter.com/DCMonteverde/status/883057280094277632
The Union Passenger Terminal
The Union Passenger Terminal (UPT) is New Orleans' train station. Constructed in 1952, it replaced five passenger terminals located at various points in the city. UPT has a direct connection to Krauss Department Store, in that one of the stations it replaced was Terminal Station, located at Canal and Basin Streets. Terminal Station was right next to Krauss from 1908 to 1954. When UPT was completed, the city demolished Terminal Station. Canal Stree...t shoppers never fully realized just how big Krauss Department Store was, because Terminal Station obscured the store's depth.
Terminal Station was still nine years away when Leon Fellman bought the buildings in the 1200 block of Canal Street in 1899, and five years away when Krauss opened in 1903. The station had a wonderful symbiotic relationship with the store for all those years. You forgot something for your trip to New Orleans, and there was this department store with absolutely everything right next door when you got off the train! The concierges and staffs at the downtown hotels also knew this, and regularly steered guests to Krauss for those last-minute essentials and other purchases.
Visitors to the City
There is so much more to the story of UPT, and we'll go more in-depth on that at some point on NOLA History Guy. When the landscape of even a few blocks changes, like the area around Krauss after Terminal Station vanished, it's important to make the connections. Krauss had the next-door neighbor connection to the Southern Railway and Gulf, Mobile and Ohio, both of which came into the station on Basin Street. Passengers coming to Canal Street from Union Station on Howard Avenue came to S. Rampart and Canal, just a block from Krauss. The buyers at Krauss knew this, and made sure the visitors saw enticing goods as they passed by.
Sears ad in Da Paper, 7-August-1955. The possibility that Sears may close its stores for good is in the headlines today (article below in comments). This ad is from when Sears was located on the corner of Baronne and Common in the CBD.
There's a tangential connection between Krauss and Sears. Leon Fellman, original owner of the building at 1201 Canal Street and one of the founders of Krauss, owned Leon Fellman's store at 800 Canal Street. When Fellman passed, in 1920, his fam...ily restructured the corporation controlling the store, and renamed it "Feibelman's," for reasons I haven't discovered yet. In 1931, Feibelman's moved to Baronne and Common. The building was demolished, a new building built, and Gus Mayer moved in. (This is the building where the CVS drugstore is now.)
In 1936, Feibelman's was acquired by Sears, Roebuck, and that's how Sears came to New Orleans. The CBD store closed in 1979, but the suburban locations kept going. Until now, it seems.
Not a Krauss ad, but something New Orleans from 1903, the year Krauss first opened its doors. Solari's was an institution on Royal Street by 1903 and had opened an uptown location. While researcing Krauss, I constantly came across Solari's ads. Like the dry goods stores, the way for a grocery to communicate specials was through the daily newspaper.
1921 - Home Furnishings - Uptown and Downtown
Home Furnishings were an important part of the Krauss product line. While many dry goods stores at the turn of the 20th Century specialized in clothing, linens, etc., the Krauss brothers expanded out, offering a wider range of products. Rugs made perfect sense, since they were a fabric product, and the buyers were able to make the right connections in New York to get them. So, the store wasn't satisfied with that, moving into othe...r flooring options, like linoleum. Linoleum was common throughout the late 1800s. Invented in 1855, good linoleum was a practical and tough floor covering. The product is organic. Modern-day plastic flooring is often called "linoleum," but that's more a connection made by older folks who remember walking on the real thing.
Many of the same manufacturers who made rugs also made big blankets. After all, the setup of the production line isn't all that different. The usually buying method used by Krauss was to negotiate with a factory for product. They'd go looking for one thing, identify other items out there at good wholesale prices, and bring them back to New Orleans. Sometimes they were marked as a special lot and sold as such. Other times that first purchase turned out to be a good thing for all, and the products entered the regular store inventory.
Krauss in 1921 looked a bit different than the big building at 1201 Canal Street now. The brothers expanded the original building back about fifty feet in 1911. That addition went up five stories. All of the expansions after that added on at five stories, goign to six in the back later. There were no escalators in 1921, so shoppers got to the upper floors via elevators.
Newspaper ads were the main way the store had to communicate with shoppers, even after radios became widespread.
The Leon Fellman Building, 802 Canal, 1912. Still There, the first floor is a store called LIVE (with a backwards E).
This building has a tangential connection to Krauss -- Leon Fellman built the original building at 1201 Canal, and leased it to the Krauss Brothers.