Did a bit of upholstery this week.
My lovely hairdresser had been asking me for ages to recover 2 of her chairs and I managed to finally fit them in. I took the base off the chair, made a new seat out of leatherette, fitted it around the arms (that I couldn't unscrew) added a little bit of additional padding and then stapled it all neatly underneath.
I'm not really into teacher gifts, but my daughter was desperate to give something to a TA she really liked, so we came up with this design together. I sewed the applique, but the rest of the bag was sewn by my 10 year old daughter.
I was contacted by a stressed out mother who had been let down by the shop she bought her daughter's prom dress from. The dress was much too long and her daughter didn't like the way she felt or looked in the dress. It was a tough turn-around with only a few days before the prom, but I took the dress up by about 5 inches. Judging by the photo I was sent, the lucky lady looked and felt fantastic for her special night.
This stunning chiffon beaded prom dress was really fiddly to re-hem. The original bottom edge of the dress was just cut, without a sewn hem. It needed a few inches cutting off, so I then had to hand finish all of the lines of beads to stop them unravelling, 72 in total! Then I sewed a narrow hem to still give a soft floaty feel. I also took the shoulder straps up a bit. It's now a perfect fit .
Hello! Sorry it's been a long time since I've been around. I've been spurred into sewing action this week by an emergency call yesterday to re-hem 3 bridesmaids dresses for a Wedding tomorrow. That's the first last night sewing I've done in ages. So now it's onwards and upwards with my massive to-do list!
Not the best photos, but I chopped lots off this gorgeous dark blue prom dress so that it became more of a day dress to be worn to a family wedding. It ended up being just above knee length and the chiffon top layer was shaped at the back to hang down a little more than the hemline of the main fabric.