2018 CLA Youth Services Institute | Lead, Rise, Resist
Call for Submissions
Libraries are a central part of our communities, yet too often we find ourselves on the outside, disconnected from the issues that are most important to them. Since we work with children and teens, youth service librarians find it even harder to effect change outside of their own department. However, the youth of our communities need champions and advocates just as strongly as the rest, and youth services librarians are uniquely suited to fill that role.
Please submit a proposal for an upcoming one-day CLA Youth Services Institute to be held in at the Lakeside Garden Center in Oakland, CA on Friday, April 27th
We are looking for librarians and library staff who are willing to share their experience with the rest of the library community during our annual CLA Youth Services Interest Group (YSIG) Spring Fling. This year’s theme: Lead, Rise, Resist focuses on preparing teen and children’s librarians to be leaders in their libraries and communities and to give them the tools needed to tackle important community issues like social justice.
· All proposals must be received by Monday, February 26th 2018.
· Presentations will be 45 minutes long and should focus on either Early Literacy Services, Children's and Tween Services, or Teen Services.
· Programs featuring hands-on experiences and/or interactive discussions are desired.
· Presenters will receive a $5 discount off the registration fees of $45 CLA members / $55 non-CLA members, and must fund their own travel costs. Lunch and refreshments will be provided for all attendees.
· The Institute will focus on promoting leadership opportunities for youth services librarians and those topics addressing social justice. Proposals on any topics relating to Youth Services (Early Literacy, Children, Tweens and Teens) will be considered.
· Proposals will be reviewed by Youth Services Interest Group committee members.
· Presenters will be notified of the Program Committee's decisions by Wednesday March 7th 2018.
· Registration for this event will open at a later date.
Please plan to join us and submit your proposal by Monday February 26th!
*Proposal form: https://goo.gl/forms/esb4leqJKm0mXSZw1