Date, Blueberry and Cacao Energy Bars Recipe
SUPER FOOD: BLUEBERRIES
In City of Hope labs, studies of blueberries have shown they inhibit growth and spread of triple-negative breast cancer, which is the one of the most aggressive types of breast cancer and often resistant to standard treatment. Find out more about these small but power-packed potential cancer-fighters here: Blueberries Hold Cancer-Fighting Properties.
Date, Blueberry and Cacao Energy Bars
Recipe courtesy of Shayla from Made From Scratch Recipes.
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Process the dates in a food processor or blender until reduced to small chunks. Set aside.
- Combine the ground flaxseed, slivered almonds, cacao nibs, sesame seeds, chia seeds and sunflower seeds in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and processed dates to the mixing bowl and mix with your hands until all ingredients are combined into thick clumps.
- Add the blueberries and gently work the blueberries in with the other ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9x9-inch pan and press down firmly to form the energy bars.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours to harden the bars.
- After the energy bars are hardened, cut into squares and refrigerate in an airtight container.
For more info on Super Foods for Super Health and City of Hope research visit the Super Foods tab.