Two hours after birth this happy thumbsucker has been fed, held by her mother and she is ready for an exam in the presence of her family. As she is the third ...baby, the father has asked the grandmother to cut the cord before the midwife checks and weighs her.
An Intact(placenta) Birth is about using common sense and a compassionate approach to childbirth - the separation of the placenta from the baby should not be hurried and thoughtlessly performed. Immediate cord clamping is unnatural, and even more harmful when the cord is still pulsating. There are no clamps or scissors in nature. We know that waiting to cut the cord restores the baby's blood back to her from her placenta, promotes crucial bonding (keeps a mother and her baby close together), and faciliates microbiome colonization by the mother. As research advances, the reasons to have an Intact Birth becomes more imperative. The baby's blood and cord is rich with stem cells.
Even before much evidence emerged about the importance of the baby receiving all her blood, there was never a really good reason for premature clamping and cutting. Separation should be the exception rather than the rule. Even in emergency cases where babies need help, keeping the cord intact until it has stopped pulsating #waitforwhite is best thing you can do for your baby.
(Follow/like the Intact Birth page to get updates and research)
5 Reasons to Hire a Doula
1. Cesarean section decreases 28%
2. Use of Pitocin decreases 31%
3. Likelihood of spontaneous vaginal birth increases 12%
4. Risk of ...being dissatisfied with the birth experience decreases 34%
5. Length of labor can decrease by 25%
I never knew that massaging the feet could do so much. I'm trying these next time our baby is crying!
Beautiful tree of life. Placenta
Whenua - Placenta - Tree of Life
Heres some amazing facts I thought I'd share 💚
* The placenta is made up of 50% cells from the mother and 50% of the cells from... the baby... If you know anything about organ donation, you will know how amazing it is that the mother’s body doesn’t reject it...
* The sperm is responsible for creating the placenta and umbilical cord...
So, technically, the placenta is *his* organ- growing in your body, supporting the baby you both created... How beautiful is that
* The baby’s blood and the mother’s blood never actually meet... The mothers blood carries all the oxygen and nutrients to the placenta which then filters out any impurities or toxins, then transfers the ‘goods’ into the vessels to the babies blood...
* A placenta is typically about 1/6th the weight of the baby (1-3 lbs)...
* A baby can send stem cells through the placenta to heal its mother organs if they are struggling, including the brain, liver, kidney and lung... The placenta also creates cells to protect the mother’s heart and fend off breast cancer...
* The placenta preforms the duties of a lung, liver, kidney and its own endocrine system providing all the hormones for both mama and baby throughout pregnancy...
To have life growing inside you truly is a miracle ...
This is why we bury our whenua (placenta)... we give it back to the whenua from which it come from...we are one with papatunuku 💗
My most used ‘tool’ during births
Birth in all its magnificence
Amazing news! My FB ban has been lifted and this incredible video of birth moments from birth photographers around the world is back! Thank you all for your love and support. It truly does matter!
WATCH our video and learn about settling your 6-12 month old bub.
It covers all the common questions around developing sleep patterns and settling and re-settl...ing:
- How to spot early signs of tiredness;
- Preparing baby for sleep;
- Remaining calm and relaxed;
- Creating a safe sleeping environment;
- Hands on responsive settling.
Read more advice on settling your 6-12 month bub here... http://bit.ly/29Yeqjo