Bike Fitting -- our expertise and our passion. Bike fitting is NOT a static process. Good fitting is not just a matter of measuring leg length, or other body dimensions. Quality fitting involves measuring you as a whole person -- your flexibility, strength, posture, foot type, etc. -- that's why our fittings take 2 hours or more. Moreover, as your body changes -- flexibility, weight, strength, etc. -- and your riding style changes, your bike fit should also change to matc...h your "new" body. We say that a good bike fit may last for 2 or 3 years at most; less if you're competitive, change equipment, or your body/fitness changes significantly. Keep in mind that changes in saddle, pedals, handlebars, or aerobars can also significantly change your relationship to the bike -- and require a new fitting. We always offer unlimited free fit adjustments for 60 days after fitting, and returning customer discounts within 2 years of original fitting. Whether you're riding competitively, just for exercise, or hoping to eliminate pain/discomfort on the bike, we have a fitting solution at SPORTFIT LAB!
Shopping for a superbike online? See us first for fitting on our GURU Dynamic Fit Unit. With a master bike fitter certified by SlowTwitch, IBFI, and SICI, Sportfit Lab will evaluate your riding position for efficiency, aerodynamics, comfort, and power. We can determine which bike will fit best, and what size to buy. After purchase, we dial in your fit on the new bike, including pedals/shoes/cleats, saddle, and handlebar/aerobar positioning. As an independent lab, we fit for all makes and models of road, triathlon, and off-road bikes. Start your new year with a bike fitting for a new (or your current) bike!
Take your swim to a new level! Tired of the swim holding you back from triathlon success? Sign up now for our Sportfit winter swim training sessions. Under the direction of Kona finisher and certified swim coach Beth Baumgarten, you will not just be pushed -- you will be instructed in correct technique and how to make your swim more efficient and powerful. With small class sizes, you'll have plenty of room and lots of personal attention. Don't just continue bad habits -- swim with focus and form! We turn beginners into competitors, and competitors into WINNERS! Space is limited and you get EARLY BIRD PRICING UNTIL DECEMBER 18TH -- so SIGN UP TODAY: http://www.sportfit-lab.com/group-swim.html.
Black Friday? Sure, you can buy more toys made in China. But why not give some American expertise with a gift certificate from SPORTFIT LAB? Using the latest techniques and technology, we can help cyclists, runners, and swimmers (and of course triathletes) improve their efficiency, power, and endurance. Master bike fitting, swim stroke analysis, running gait analysis, fitness testing are all part of our repertoire. Gift certificates can be used for any of our services or products, including bikes, wetsuits, cycling gear, etc. - http://www.mcssl.com/…/spo…/gift-certificates-and-gift-items.
Kudos to Ironman Champion Lionel Sanders, who set a new world record at IM Arizona today: 7:44!! Still don't believe Garneau makes a fast bike? Check out Lionel's 4:04 bike split...and come to Sportfit Lab to get your own Garneau TR1 with AeroLeap technology. You can order in any color through Garneau's DreamFactory program.
Have you been saving for a Tri bike to improve your triathlon splits? Don't settle for any Tri bike -- at SPORTFIT LAB, we make sure every bike is fitted perfectly to the body of the triathlete, and customize the bike to fit your riding position, power, and taste. Want the bike of your dreams? Look no further than the Garneau Dream Factory TR1 with AeroLeap technology, ridden by Pro Ironman Champion Lionel Sanders: get any colors you want, with components fitted for you by... SPORTFIT LAB. Want uncompromised aerodynamics? Get the Ceepo Viper (or Ceepo Katana), which tested as more aero than Cervelo in the wind tunnel. Want pro level speed at an amateur price? Try the Fuji Norcom, ridden by pro champion Sarah Haskins. Starting at just $1700, we will make your triathlon dreams come true. Begin with fitting on our Dynamic Fit Unit, we use science and motion capture to find your ideal riding position -- and the best bike for you!
We are dedicated to professional, scientifically-sound bike fitting, because we love to help cyclists/triathletes get faster and more comfortable. Nothing makes us feel better than hearing from a client who's happier on her bike: "I wanted to thank you again for the amazing fit. I raced the Outer Banks Half Ironman on Saturday and had an 11 minute PR (5:19:08); I ended up coming in 2nd (lost by 11 seconds *ugh*). My bike split improved by 7 minutes (I went from a 3:07 to 3 h...ours flat).... I was able to stay in aero about 90% of the race…amazing. And no chafing!! I think I only had to readjust myself on the saddle once. I didn’t think that was possible! What’s even more incredible is how great my legs felt coming off the bike. They felt ‘fresh’…not sure if that’s the right word. But they didn’t feel beat up like they normally would. I didn’t have any back or neck pain either. I was able to hit my stride within a mile off the bike and ended up running a 1:34 half marathon (an 8 minute PR). My final time would have been faster had it been a wetsuit legal swim. So thank you again. I’m looking forward to see how much faster I can get now that I’m in an optimal position." This quote from a triathlete who had been "fitted" twice in bike shops before.
Ready to be faster, more comfortable, and more efficient on your bike? Call SPORTFIT LAB today for bike fitting, certified by FIST, SICI, and IBFI -- it's like riding a new bike!
Last 2 days for EARLY BIRD PRICING on Fall swim training! Work on technique, fitness, open water skills with USA Triathlon and USA Masters certified coach Beth Baumgarten -- Wed. mornings and Sunday afternoons at Claude Moore Rec Ctr. in Sterling. Sign up now to save before sessions start in October; Team Sportfit (current coaching) members use your team discount code for additional savings. http://www.sportfit-lab.com/group-swim.html.
We're proud to announce that Doug and Beth Baumgarten, supported by Sportfit Lab, have been named coaches of the Marymount University Triathlon Team. Along with assistant coach Nancy DiPietro, we're looking forward to continuing Marymount's tradition of triathlon success and building a larger and stronger triathlon program for the Saints.
We are truly blessed with some great young athletes in the program, including Collin Chartier, who blasted his way to a course record on Sunday, winning the Patriots' Sprint collegiate (and overall) race in 59:24. First job as a college coach - inherit great athletes. Go Saints!
https://www.rio2016.com/en/paralympics/triathlon. Please take time (between football games) to watch these incredible athletes -- not out of sympathy, but to watch exciting competition between awesome athletes. Last night I watched a fantastic wheelchair basketball game, the U.S. women beating Netherlands. American Grace Norman won GOLD in triathlon! Tonight I've seen a world record in the women's 400m, and another awesome performance by Tanya McFadden, who has already won two medals -- and has five more events to race!
Triathlon Swim Training - fall sessions now open for registration! Join USAT and USA Masters Swim certified coach Beth Baumgarten (5-time triathlon All-American) for swim training at Claude Moore Rec Center in Sterling, Wednesday mornings and/or Sunday afternoons. Lots of attention and feedback on technique and form, in addition to high intensity workouts. Sign up for one day or both - classes start in October. Sign up by Sept. 18 for early bird pricing (shown in web store: http://www.mcssl.com/store/sportfitlab). For more info, see our web page: http://www.sportfit-lab.com/group-swim.html.
https://www.facebook.com/therunexperience/videos/857690830997956/. Great pre- and post-workout exercises for triathletes.
Keep your runner's legs happy! : Glutes and Hamstrings
Here are 3 easy to do exercises to keep your glutes and hamstrings happy. Both these groupings of muscle...s require lots of maintenance when running (especially after high speed/intensity days)! Then also consider how much time we spend sitting, mushing those muscles down and junking them up. Unlock your hamstrings and glutes for a more fluid and powerful stride!
1. Deep Lunge + Knee Drive
This is a wonderful warmup exercise to get both your hips open and your hamstring moving.
• Keep back knee off ground.
• Keep hands and front foot flat on ground.
• Drive front knee as far back as comfortable.
2. Seated Hamstring Massage.
This should be done after exercise or on rest days. This exercise is a wonderful way to get tissue work going on the hamstrings in ways that foam rollers really can’t.
• Sit tall! Slouching will greatly limit the efficacy of this.
• Start with the ball high (right below sit bones) and work you way towards knee after a couple good reps in each spot.
• Don’t forget to work outside and inside as well!
3. Seated Glute Massage.
Like the previous, this is one to do after exercise or on a rest day. The glutes can get very matted down and tight if we spend large amounts of time sitting throughout the day. And using a lacrosse ball (or any firm ball) can do wonders to restore function to those tissues.
• Cross leg you are working on to pull tension in glutes.
• Work all around the glutes, hunting down tight spots. Circle around the head of the femur.
Get after it!
- Free advert.. https://www.facebook.com/TheNationsTriathlon/photos/a.88083999174.102571.51933174174/10154432852024175/?type=3
- Near the end of 2014 I posted a blurb about Old Man On a Bicycle and... a photo of its cover to bicycle shops and clubs throughout the country. Recently I was advised to repeat the process, which accounts for this Facebook posting. When I told family and friends that I intended to ride a bicycle from New Hampshire to San Francisco, most of them questioned my judgment, if not my sanity. I was in my seventies, hadn’t been on a bike for years, and had never ridden more than a few miles at a time. But in May 2002 I put doubters behind me and headed west. Old Man on a Bicycle is the account of the solo bike ride across the country. I relate the challenges this included, such as riding a loaded bike over the Rocky Mountains and Sierra Nevada, crossing the Great Plains in brutal summer heat, dealing with the aftermath of a collision with a car, and traversing Nevada’s basin and range country and the Great Salt Lake’s desert. Rewards included passing through spectacular mountain forests, experiencing the aching beauty of the lonely plains, viewing the grandeur of the West’s sculpted canyons and mesas, and meeting interesting people along the way. I tell how I prepared for the 3,600-mile journey and what I saw and did during the two months I was on the road. In addition I rebut the misconception that aging invariably means debilitatinecline and, drawing on certain events of the ride, I present research-based advice on how to ease the physical aspects of aging, emphasizing the importance of exercise to physical and mental well-being at all ages. Some who have responded to this message have asked where they can buy the book. It is available on amazon.com (both print and Kindle editions), barnesandnoble.com, and other online booksellers. And It can be ordered at a local bookstore.