Yang-May Ooi, acclaimed writer/ performer of Bound Feet Blues, has joined the the John Thomson Exhibition team multi-media blogger. Here she tells how her personal family history intersects with the epic storytelling in Thomson’s photography.. READ MORE
I've been getting the South London Voices Facebook ready for the launch of the podcast. Here is the cover photo taken somewhere in South London... can you guess the location (without looking at the hashtags in the link below..)?
My new podcast South London Voices will be launching soon. I'm recording our first interview with South London author Stevie Henden and once it is edited, it will go live on the South London Voices section of my blog...
Tony Dillon with Yang-May Ooi - talking about health and wellbeing by the seaside on the ReWilding My Life podcast
https://buff.ly/2FQ5VBG ReWilding My Life - A Tiger Spirit Project
ReWilding My Life is a multi-media Tiger Spirit project exploring our connection with nature and our sense of the wild within. Here is the profile picture for the podcast.
https://buff.ly/2HEOOmI ReWilding My Life - A Tiger Spirit Project
I love this photo of 94 year old Harriet Thompson - inspiring me to work on my "wild body" as part of the ReWilding My Life project
https://buff.ly/2FGlEa6 ReWilding My Life - A Tiger Spirit Project
“You’re amazing!” I said as she neared. “I’ve been watching you running and doing sit-ups. I’m so impressed.”
She looked at me, surprised – and then a pleased grin spread over her face. “Thank you.”
But she waved away my comment in a self-deprecating way....
“I mean it,” I continued. “If I were as fit as you are when I get to your age, it would be amazing…”
She said, “I had a stroke earlier this year and I was paralysed down one side.”
“Oh wow,” I took in her full range of movement, her clarity of speech. “I would never have known it.” READ THE WHOLE STORY BELOW
Costume designer Lupt Utama (L) being interviewed online by multi-media blogger Yang-May Ooi (R) about the sumptious clothing of His Majesty King Mongkut and His Highness Prince Chulalongkorn of Thailand as seen in the photos of Victorian era photographer John Thomson. An exhibition of John Thomson's Siam photos will be on from 13 April to 23 June 2018 at the Brunei Gallery London - buff.ly/2oOm0kG
#costumedesigner #celebrity #thai #thailand #siam #interview #videoscreenshot #videoblog #vlog #southeastasian #photographyexhibition #expert #history #arts #culture #johnthomson #johnthomsonlens #luptutama #hollywooddesigner #hollywood
PAWA’s mission struck a chord with me. The world needs educated and empowered women and where better to start than with young girls – especially in some of the most economically deprived areas of the world. I have been a member of PAWA from the start and continue to support their work, raising funds for girls’ education across Asia. More recently, I have become the Editor of the PAWA Online Magazine. FIND OUT MORE BELOW
Independent curator and producer Katriana Hazell (R) speaks to multi-media blogger Yang-May Ooi (L) about the astonishing photos that will be on display at the John Thomson Exhibition in London from 13 April to 23 June 2018. The Youtube video of the interview will be posted shortly. Find out more at buff.ly/2D4zRaV
#exhibition #johnthomson #johnthomsonlens #london #artshow #culture #videoscreenshot #videoblog #vlog #women #chinese #photographyexhibition #interview
I'm delighted to work with Betty Yao on the John Thomson Exhibition as their Multi-media Blogger. More details will follow but for now, here's us getting together to work on plans for the exhibition. Find out more about the exhibition - upcoming in April 2018 - at buff.ly/2FLNfDB
I am honoured to be speaking at my old school to celebrate International Women's Day alongside some amazing women, including the wonderful Virginia McKenna whom I found so inspiring as a child in Born Free and Carve Her Name with Pride!
Roedean’s Festival Celebrating Women on International Women’s Day
8 March is less than 2 weeks away, and our Festival on that day promises to be a really exciti...ng event, with thirteen speakers coming to the School, all women, of whom four are Old Roedeanians. The students have been able to choose which talks to attend, so that those with predominantly scientific interests can hear from a range of speakers in that field, and those who prefer the Arts have a choice of speakers who will interest them. We are also delighted to be welcoming a number of students from Blatchington Mill and Longhill Schools in Brighton. The speakers coming to Roedean are the following:
• Dame Mary Archer – a Chemist who is the Chair of Trustees for the National Science Museum, with a long-standing interest in solar photoconversion [Yrs 11-13 only]
• Holly Bourne – a children’s writer, well known for Am I Normal Yet? And the Spinster Club series; she also has a strong interest in feminism [Yrs 7-10 only]
• Anabela Chan OR – a London-based award-winning jewellery designer – this year, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Rita Ora, and Salma Hayek have all worn her statement pieces on the red carpet
• Rose Hudson-Wilkin – Chaplain to the Queen and to the Speaker of the House of Commons, and one of the first cohort of women to become bishops in the Church of England
• Jasleen Kandhari OR – is an art and textiles historian, specialising in Sikh art and South Asian material culture, who teaches courses at Oxford University [Yrs 11-13 only]
• Rebecca Long OR – the founder of Boudica Films, a female-centric film company, which has at least 50% women in all roles as part of the film-making process
• Professor Mary Lovegrove OBE – a diagnostic radiographer, who is Emeritus Professor of Education and Development for Allied Health Professionals
• Virginia McKenna OBE – a film and theatre actress, and animal rights’ activist and wildlife campaigner, who founded the Born Free Foundation
• Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu – a lawyer and women’s rights’ activist, who is also the co-founder of the Women’s March London [Yrs 11-13 only]
• Yang-May Ooi OR – she is a bestselling author, a multimedia creative and the writer/performer of Bound Feet Blues, a stage play about footbinding
• Professor Kate O’Riordan – Professor of Digital Culture at the University of Sussex, with a focus on how gender and sexuality are presented in digital media [Yrs 11-13 only]
• Gabrielle Rowles – a proponent of the BoingBoing Theory, which focuses on the power of resilience and a positive mind-set
• Captain Anna Sandell – a commercial airline pilot from Sweden, who flies the 787 Dreamliner, the largest airliner in the world, and trains other pilots
It will be a brilliant, empowering, and enlightening day!