- Founder (company)September 2006 to presentVoter-funded media: governance reform for democracies & corporations. Sponsor/advisor for media contests at UBC & SFU. See www.votermedia.org and http://votermedia.blogspot.com.
- Founder (company)September 1996 to July 2007Corporate governance reform: empowering shareowners with info to make management more accountable. In July 2007 this project merged into www.votermedia.org and http://votermedia.wordpress.com.
- Director; Head of Quantitative Equity Trading GroupMarch 1994 to July 1995Created and traded quantitative strategies in Japanese equity and derivative instruments, including stocks, warrants and futures.
- Vice PresidentSeptember 1989 to February 1994Built arbitrage trading models and systems. Pricing and risk management of equity, fixed-income and currency derivatives. From Nov 1992: Head of Risk Management Dept (firmwide); based in New York.
- Assistant Professor of FinanceAugust 1982 to July 1989- Taught courses in security markets (stocks, bonds, options, futures), fundamental valuation, arbitrage, risk and return, investment management, corporate finance.
- Won 1984 Earl F. Cheit Outstanding Teacher Award.
- Research on information, risk, and security pricing.
- No additional details to show
- La tâche des vrais démocrates est de voir à ce que le peuple soit de plus en plus au courant, instruit, renseigné sur ses propres intérêts.
-- René Lévesque
It is difficult to induce the people to take part in government; it is still more difficult to supply them with the experience and the beliefs which they lack, but need in order to govern well.
[Il est difficile de faire participer le peuple au gouvernement; il est plus difficile encore de lui fournir l’expérience et de lui donner les sentiments qui lui manquent pour bien gouverner.]
-- Alexis de Tocqueville
Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried.
-- Winston Churchill
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
-- Winston Churchill
In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
-- Yogi Berra
Models are to be used, but not to be believed.
-- Henri Theil
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
-- Upton Sinclair
It must be considered that there is nothing more difficult to carry out, nor more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to handle, than to initiate a new order of things. For the reformer has an enemy in all those who profit by the old order, and only lukewarm defenders in all those who would profit from the new order, this lukewarmness arising partly from fear of their adversaries, who have the laws in their favour; and partly from the incredulity of mankind, who do not believe in anything new until they have had actual experience of it.